Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: help me between microscope and pneumatic engraving

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    63

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    This should work...

    https://vimeo.com/ondemand/ornamenta...ving/328537972

    Malcolm Appleby's style is very different - what's shown here is more of a focus on the (dare I say more basic) fundamental decorative engraving motifs.
    basically i need the graver to make the cuts on pave setting.. and surround stones. and i dont have the hammer handpiece.. because i use a micromotor .. and only the handppiece is a price of a engraving system or a microscope.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Romsey
    Posts
    4,951

    Default

    Flat, onglette, round scorpers (if you're raising beads rather than cutting down around them). Everything in Jason's video is, IIRC, done with an onglette & a flat.
    I still use my "basic" gravers & scorpers as well as the Airgraver.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    63

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Flat, onglette, round scorpers (if you're raising beads rather than cutting down around them). Everything in Jason's video is, IIRC, done with an onglette & a flat.
    I still use my "basic" gravers & scorpers as well as the Airgraver.
    so its possible do it?
    without air graver?>

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (108).jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	12709

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Romsey
    Posts
    4,951

    Default

    Seriously? People have been engraving and setting with gravers & scorpers for centuries. Powered engraving tools are a very recent development by comparison. Yes, they make a few things easier, but there's nothing can be done with them that can't be done by hand.
    Have a look at the Art of Setting by Grether for some advice on traditional setting methods.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    63

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Seriously? People have been engraving and setting with gravers & scorpers for centuries. Powered engraving tools are a very recent development by comparison. Yes, they make a few things easier, but there's nothing can be done with them that can't be done by hand.
    Have a look at the Art of Setting by Grether for some advice on traditional setting methods.

    Hoo thats great! I will check and study them..


    So come the next thing..

    Is the old microscope like 8 years old are functional as new ones?

    A friend told me to buy a leica a60 but is way too much for me.


    Advice for a microscope with a maximun budget of 550$ ? Used or new ... wich ine should i take?

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    1,352

    Default

    This is the piece my engraver completed, at the end of his apprenticeship and presented the the Goldsmiths Hall, it is entirely had pushed
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ray Hood finishing peice.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	12710 a example as to what can be achieved by hand

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Romsey
    Posts
    4,951

    Default

    There are better optics around, there are worse. My Nikon is from the early 80s, IIRC - and I've not come across a reason to upgrade it. Amscope get sneered at by "proper" engravers, but I know a number of jewellers who swear by them; a couple of years ago Meiji were the "only" scope to use, now it's Leica.

    This has more detail - and pretty much everything said then is valid now:
    https://engraverscafe.com/threads/st...to-avoid.3451/

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Romsey
    Posts
    4,951

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    This is the piece my engraver completed, at the end of his apprenticeship and presented the the Goldsmiths Hall, it is entirely had pushed...
    And I doubt he was using a scope either

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    63

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    And I doubt he was using a scope either
    The Leica sz4 would work for the job? I dont need any fancy right now

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Romsey
    Posts
    4,951

    Default

    So long as you have enough working distance under the objective - it has an objective of 0.7-3x, so with 10x eyepieces it's a decent range for setting/engraving. Might need a Barlow lens though, in which case your max magnification will be reduced.
    Make sure you get a suitable stand as well - normal microscope stands aren't useful in this, some sort of boom arm will be needed.
    http://www.science-info.net/docs/lei...icroscopes.pdf

    Or go with Amscope.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •