Thread: Caddy Spoon

Default Caddy Spoon

I know its not jewellery but here goes anyway. I've had this sitting on my bench for a while now, not quite finished. Its a one piece sterling silver caddy spoon which I've hammered, punched, carved, engraved and enamelled. Some of the carving and engraving is pneumatic assist and some hand push. Why is it not finished you may ask ;-) I've not decided about hallmarking. What I would like is to have the marks in the bowl as if the spoon has scooped them up, in a bit of a jumble. I think laser engraving is probably best but I would like heavyish marks but there is the caveat on the London Assay Office site that states that heavy polishing could damage the marks. I'm not registered for laser as my registration predates its introduction. I've seen some really nice heavy marks done by the Sheffield Office so I'm considering registering with them and getting the assay done there but its added cost. There's always the option of not getting it assayed as it won't be sold. I'll probably procrastinate for a little longer ;-) Thanks for looking.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EO9A2011scale.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	12705

That’s very lovely Alastair. Laser marks aren’t very interesting if you want it to be a statement. But procrastination is good!
    After I’d made a few spoons I thought I’d make a caddy spoon and then decided it would take ages to sell and cut it down the middle and made a pendant that someone loved. They also liked the story of it once having been intended as a spoon

It,s a lovely piece Alastair, and will be an heirloom one day. You cant really be sure that a hallmark wherever done, will be to you liking, so I would just put one on he underside, where it can do less harm. Dennis.

That is exquisite Alastair. Even though you don't want to sell it, I'd definitely be having it hallmarked, but would have it on the reverse of the 'handle' area if I had made it. I do like the idea of the jumbled up letters of the hallmarks in the spoon though. Why not email Sheffield a pic of the spoon and see what their suggestions are?
    Jules

I have nothing to offer on the hallmarking question, but oh my, what a very pretty piece - l love it!

That is nice piece, I can't contribute to the hallmark dilemma as down here we do our own hallmarking.

That's lovely. It seems a lot of folks in some of the other forums are happy with their deep laser hallmarks, just have to make sure to ask for deep laser.

Thank you all for the lovely comments and advice it is much appreciated. I will take a while longer to decide what to do and when it's completed I'll post the results.