Thread: What am i doing with the barrel brite!?

Default What am i doing with the barrel brite!?

Thanks experts for your time.

Ok I think I have been using it all wrong. I've just left the new (years ago) steel shot in my barrel with 10g of barrel brite and water for years! The liquid has turned brown since then and I didn't think anything of it. I just rinse it out every so often and then add water for 3/4 of the barrel and then 10g of barrel brite. Is this ok? I only occasionally polish with it and it works fine. Can i just carry on doing this? or should I drastically change for some reason? I have read a few posts and they are worried the steel shot is greasy etc and rust in the water.. My shot looks fine, no rust, but the water is rusty (I suppose the barrel brite is working?) Should I change my method? I'm either doing something terribly wrong or it's fine, I have no idea. Please advise!

I have no idea as I don’t use one but if you think the finish is fine why worry. Of course you may be doing something hideously wrong and someone will tell you but in the meantime......

Stephen Goldsmith mentions in his book Polishing and Finishing for Jewellers and Silversmiths that you use a spoonful of powder mixed with clean water and shot in the barrel. Fill the barrel half full (I would suggest you put the items in first, so its half full, rather than water, then items, as overfilling can result in leaks). He recommends heavy items are tumbled for less time and smaller items for longer. I use a tumbler regularly to tumble my jumprings, which I hand saw and always ensure I run the tumbler until the water is no longer grey, afterwards, which is another tip I got from the book mentioned above. The amount of powder depends on your water, so again down to trial and error.
    Jules

If it aint broke, don't fix it. Dennis.