Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bezel short

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    I use fine silver as well. On a few forums over the years bearer wire hasn’t been much thought of. Is there not also a problem using it if the base of the cabochon isn’t completely flat?
    Apologies if this post has reposted as tinternet went off just as I clicked send as just because I’m not seeing it doesn’t mean it won’t appear in half an hour:/
    Well it did appear, Caroline.
    I for one find bearer wire awkward to handle, and inevitably it's too deep and has to be cut down, creating waste. So if I want to raise the stone, I insert a jump ring, or a tube within a tube. Mostly no soldering required, unless the back is to be left open. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Well it did appear, Caroline.
    I for one find bearer wire awkward to handle, and inevitably it's too deep and has to be cut down, creating waste. So if I want to raise the stone, I insert a jump ring, or a tube within a tube. Mostly no soldering required, unless the back is to be left open. Dennis.
    That’s what I thought Dennis and as Sheena appears quite proficient in bezel making after her last one I wouldn’t see the point in using it

One of the jewellers I follow on insta recommended bearer wire a while back so I had some in my supplies. I've used it twice now and it's not for me. I think it's taking me a lot longer to get it to behave than if i just made a bezel then then solder a bearer in. Always worth trying everything available but in this case it's a no from me

I’ve not seen many who do like it and as Dennis said you don’t have to solder a bearer in unless necessary

When you're doing deep open backed bezels do you make the ledge out of fine silver too?

Quote Originally Posted by Sheen View Post
    When you're doing deep open backed bezels do you make the ledge out of fine silver too?
    Yes if like me you are pure as the driven snow. Dennis.