Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bezel short

Ah after a lot of faffing, realised I should use a piece of square wire was going to make it fancy now back to preferring it plain. Have put the bits away and will come back to it later when my brain's less pooped.

Ps this has been a really interesting thread. Big thankyou to everyone.

Okay folks I've got a wobbler on my hands. I thinks it's been caused by the L shaped bearer wire i used (i wouldn't recommend using it on anything but large settings, the differant rates of compression make it extremely difficult to control) to make an open backed setting. I put it in a vice and used a pusher and burnisher and it's still wobbling. The setting is going to be dipped in platinol. Is there anything I could use to gunge up the setting, as that's what's going to happen when someone wears it anyway.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200916_170753_compress78.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	12711

Just went over it with some light hammering. Feels firmer. Doesn't wobble but still rattles in it's setting.

You need to hold the base of the bezel firmly so that you can the push the top over. You've attempted to do this by holding in a vice but this will not be good enough.

Use some polymorph, coolmorph etc and pack this around the shank and base of the bezel. While it is still soft squeeze the polymorph around the shank in the vice, not too tight. When the polymorph is set firmly, tighten the vice and then you can push the bezel over.

When firmly set remove the polymorph.

Mmm had a go, but it still moves in it's setting slightly, I think that bearer wire has made the space roomier on the seat and no amount of hammering from me has quite sorted it. I might just have to settle.
    Last edited by Sheen; 16-09-2020 at 08:12 PM.

It sounds like you have work hardened metal and it's getting springy. When you say hammering, is it a hammer you are using or is it a hammer handpiece with a punch?

Morning Alistair, i took the ring out of the coolmorph last night and actual the stone is pretty good now. i was using a square pusher with a rawhide mallet. it thought i wouldn't need the coolmorph because i had it in a vice but it really does make the difference! twice you've recommened that to me and twice it's worked

Default sterling bezels

In making this ring with a sterling silver bezel rather than a fine silver one, i was wanting to ask everyone under what circumstances people use sterling for their bezel rather than fine silver?

I use fine silver bezels all the time. They harden very quickly, and as I have been able to observe my work for 25years, I can say with confidence that it gives no trouble.
    The exception is tube setting, because you cant buy fine silver tubes and I am reluctant to make them. Dennis.

I use fine silver as well. On a few forums over the years bearer wire hasn’t been much thought of. Is there not also a problem using it if the base of the cabochon isn’t completely flat?

Apologies if this post has reposted as tinternet went off just as I clicked send as just because I’m not seeing it doesn’t mean it won’t appear in half an hour:/