Thread: It’s all in the small print.....or is it?

Default It’s all in the small print.....or is it?

I had this idea....a good solid sterling silver ring made from 6mm x 1.7mm section, 21mm O/D with 4 solid drilled 5mm copper drilled balls threaded onto 1.5mm round wire across the inside diameter. The round wire had a round eye formed on one end and was passed through one hole drilled through the ring. The balls then threaded onto the wire which then passed down and through the opposite wall of the ring. Top and bottom were then silver soldered. An attractive contrast in colours. A chain threaded through the eye and one has a pendant. All went well until I soldered....the balls must be, and I now have found out are only copper plated! So I now have what I assume is nickel balls and not the copper. The advertisement read “solid copper drilled 5mm balls”. I assumed solid copper but not solid balls plated with copper! No commas! Bought from a large oriental supplier.
    Aggrieved as it took quite a time to get the I/D of the ring to be exactly the sum of 4 balls diameter.
    Oh well I am now a little bit older and hopefully a little bit wiser! Not quite “all that glistens is not gold” but near enough!
    David

Either a tricky description, or copper balls covered in silver solder. Try polishing one just to be sure.
    Radial disks on your handpiece are good for this.
    https://www.cooksongold.com/Jeweller...rcode-999-1967 Dennis.

I have cut one ball in half. It looks obvious the ball is of a white metal (non magnetic) with plating of copper! Annoyingly I can’t find anywhere to write to the company to ask for their comments.
    David

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk