Thread: Gold wire tears

Default Gold wire tears

Hi,
    I have made several necklaces with gemstones and goldwire without any problems. Now I have a necklace where the gold wire just tears/breaks without any obvious reason. Has anybody had the same problem? I have used a 0.3 mm 9ct gold wire and small moonstones.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	12675

I hope someone can help me
    Thank you
    Birgit

Work hard? Needs annealing?
    Or..and I am not intentionally insulting you because I have done this myself - did you cut the wrong wire when cutting off the wire wrap?
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Are your wires from a trusted source?
    If annealing, or soldering, use only a soft flame with the air hole partially closed. Working in a darkened area will allow you to monitor overheating. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Are your wires from a trusted source?
    If annealing, or soldering, use only a soft flame with the air hole partially closed. Working in a darkened area will allow you to monitor overheating. Dennis.
    I never anneal my wire and only buy from Cooksongold so the quality should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by pearlescence View Post
    Work hard? Needs annealing?
    Or..and I am not intentionally insulting you because I have done this myself - did you cut the wrong wire when cutting off the wire wrap?
    I haven`t annealt the wire, but neverdo and have not had any problems up until now. It is not just one place one the necklace but several places and i breaks different around the gemstones

It really does look as if the wire has changed. Try complaining to Cookson, or try wire from another dealer, such as Betts Metals https://bettsmetalsales.com/bullion. Dennis

Thank you so much Dennis, I will try to do that. It is really frustrating, when I repair one of the stones the next one breaks without me even touching it ��

Quote Originally Posted by BirgitA View Post
    Thank you so much Dennis, I will try to do that. It is really frustrating, when I repair one of the stones the next one breaks without me even touching it ��
    That sounds like it is work hardened. Did it feel stiff when you were wrapping it?
    Grit your teeth and give thanks that at least it is happening now before the piece is handed over to a customer...!
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by pearlescence View Post
    That sounds like it is work hardened. Did it feel stiff when you were wrapping it?
    Grit your teeth and give thanks that at least it is happening now before the piece is handed over to a customer...!
    No it felt soft when I worked with it. Well it was my friend who had bought it, so not the best situation, but it could have been worse.