Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rings, rings everywhere!

Default Rings, rings everywhere!

Ah, tomorrow I'm back to work full time for the first time in five months. I've still been at work but on reduced hours but even so....reality check is zooming towards me!
    For the last week or so I've been playing with rings just because I love making and wearing them, trying to come up with interesting rings that are a little out of the ordinary. And it's just occured to me that I've created a bit of a beauty and the beast selection.

First up are these pretty flush set gemstone, bronze granuled, hammer textured, metal clay ammonite accent rings. A bit of gold plate has been added and I've been road testing them for five days by not taking them off at all. I have to say the gold plate is beginning to wear a little but it's held up pretty well considering how often I wash my hands, use hand sanitizer, wash up, bathes, put my hands into my pockets and into bags and such. I like these a lot and need to make some up with some of the different stones I have because I've realised that potential customers cant see in their heads what they might look like in different colours.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200823_113051439-01.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	12670 They're the beauties, now for the beasts.....

These came about because I wanted to see how fast I could make something and have it look impressive. I think these are pretty good, the first ring took 15 minutes fabrication and got chucked in the tumbler for 30 minutes at the end of the process. Then I made more, and today I made another and added a quick pendant and earrings. All flush set with 1.5mm CZs. So now I've got lots of rings to road test and see how they wear.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200828_162230.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	12669 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200828_162837727.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	12671 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200828_161615.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	12672

Thanks for looking x

Ooo I really like all your rings! They're got a good earthy hewn/worked quality to them, i must say I'm not a fan of flush setting (too clinical and often lacking interest) but yours are great. I'd buy one of those no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheen View Post
    Ooo I really like all your rings! They're got a good earthy hewn/worked quality to them, i must say I'm not a fan of flush setting (too clinical and often lacking interest) but yours are great. I'd buy one of those no problem.
    Thank you Sheena. I'm really enjoying flush setting into rough surfaces. One of those earrings was a total nightmare to set. My own fault, I misjudged where to tap the pilot hole for the burrs and I cut away too far into a thinner section of the silver. I spent a while trying to burnish it in before giving in to having a go at very basic bead setting using a graver and a beading tool. It seems to have worked though, I've tried various ways of forcing the stone out and it seems to be going nowhere.

I love the 15 minute rings. They would be great with tiny seed pearls too. I wish I knew how to do stuff like flush setting
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by pearlescence View Post
    I love the 15 minute rings. They would be great with tiny seed pearls too. I wish I knew how to do stuff like flush setting
    Thanks, yes I think the 15 minute rings are great too.
    Flush setting is pretty easy once you get your head around it, although it's not without its frustrations, and it's ever so slightly addictive.

It always looks skilled and classy.
    I need a day or weekend type course but none of them around at the moment. Unless someone wants to teach me
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

I would teach you the 16,0000 k distance is a bit of a problem though.

According to some using burrs the exact size of your stones is key. Me I use an old school whisk handle style drill and there's a bit of play when I'm holding it. So for these 1.5mm CZs I use a 1.1mm ball burr and then a 1.3mm setting burr. Pop the stone in, run round it with a burnisher made from an old burr and you're good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by misspond View Post
    According to some using burrs the exact size of your stones is key. Me I use an old school whisk handle style drill and there's a bit of play when I'm holding it. So for these 1.5mm CZs I use a 1.1mm ball burr and then a 1.3mm setting burr. Pop the stone in, run round it with a burnisher made from an old burr and you're good to go.
    I did some setting years ago but never had any confidence that the stone was going to stay put. I'm the person who uses 12 inch screws to put up a small shelf.
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Part of the joy of making jewellery for me is trying stuff out and when they actually work the astonishment that I feel every time I look at the item/s