Thread: Help with an old Rayner

Default Help with an old Rayner

New to the forum, but hoping someone may be able to assist.
    I have bought an old Raynor refractometer dated around 1970 its the green metal type. I have the sodium light box which is working fine and produces a nice golden yellow light. All in all both look in very good condition. I'm however having trouble to get a reading from any stones. There just is no line to read. I have tried several known stones, but nothing. I have tried looking close up and away from the eyepiece. I don't have the extra lens. Does this make a difference ? Also I bought 1.8 RI fluid from Optics factory in the US and don't know much about these people, so wondering if the fluid is useless. I'm really wanting to see if there is anyone out there who can check that the Rayner is working properly and if it needs calibration or repair. Haven't been able to find anyone online
    Really want to get to use this equipment the traditional way, before I go cheat and buy a Presidium II !

I've asked and she's OK with it - if you search for Kerry Gregory on Facebook she may be able to help you with the beasty. Presupposes you use FB, of course...

Hi Peter, Many thanks I met Kerry Gregory about a year ago. I have her card so I'll send her a quick email. I didn't know if she was on this forum