Thread: Jewellery tumblers

Default Jewellery tumblers

Recommendations please. I am looking to buy another tumbler as the one I use is shared and now as my daughter is starting making again, there will be competition! At present I have a single barrelled Evans and have been very happy with it. However it is the only one I have ever used and guess there must be many others to choose from. So yet again I throw this out to all of you with your greater experience of these machines.
    Ruedeleglise.

The Rolls Royce of tumbler's is "Lortone" pretty much anything else is a compromise.

I know others will disagree, but in Stephen Goldsmiths book he mentions that round barrels/tumblers are for polishing stones. The ones he recommend have flat sides with vanes inside. Here's a link with a variety of answers to your question, https://www.cooksongold.com/forum/se...archid=1923852

hth
    Jules

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    The Rolls Royce of tumbler's is "Lortone" pretty much anything else is a compromise.
    However, if that tumbler is working well David, there is no reason to change it. Common complaints seen here are leakage, and the tumbler no longer going round, due to the rods not gripping.
    Both these are less likely with the Lortone.

In the end, a tumbler is a tumbler, with the reservation that if it has internal ribs, or vanes, it will tumble more aggressively and work faster.

Another complaint is that the needles in mixed shot mark the metal. This holds for them all, but can be reduced somewhat by conditioning the shot, tumbling for longer, and using very fine shot, for instance from Creative Glass https://www.creativeglassshop.co.uk/...ase=mixed+shot.

An alternative is to think about a magnetic machine. Dennis.

I actually use a rock tumbler I bought for £5 at a boot sale... It has ribs inside and a round screw top barrel with a clear plastic lid that fits over the machine to reduce noise. I filled it with regular stainless steel shot and it seems to polish nicely. Do you think I would notice a difference in polishing if I bought a better machine? It’s one of those things I keep telling myself I need to buy eventually.

A better machine will unlikely make any large difference in the result it will just be better built last longer and spares will be available as a side note I do not use a tumbler to polish jewellery, only stones and usually only to to give a initial clean.
    I am yet to see jewellery polished in a tumbler come up to my standard of finish

As ever, thanks for your inputs. I have quite some research to make now. Must admit the Evans has newer leaked which is a common problem you tell me and I have heard. I am inclined to buy another but it would appear that they only market the double barrel now and I need to think of space. A bit of reading now I think. Thanks again all of you.
    David

3lb Jewellery Polishing Tumbling Barrelling Starter KIT - TP89SET

Jewellery Polishing Kit - Machine plus 1 x Slated Jewellery Plastic Barrel, 1kg of mixed steel shot & 100gm of Barrelbrite barrelling media.

High quality 3lb Jewellery Barreller supplied with a single 3lb slated barrel as pictured. Complete with instructions.

The barrel measures 140mm diameter and is 115mm long. Single 1.5lb barrels can be purchased separately, product code TP911A

You can use two of these at the same time on this machine. The difference between using one or two barrels?

Single Barrels - Maximum load in one go, but you have to wait for each stage to be completed before moving onto the next.

Double Barrels - Allows you to have two separate smaller loads tumbling in unison but at different stages of the process.

Subtotal £100.00
    20% VAT £20.00
    Price £120.00
    Each
    Quantity discounts:
    Qty 1 2 - 9 10 - Unlimited
    Price
    £100.00
    £95.00
    £90.00
    OR
    Qty.
    SKU: TP89SET
    Quantity per unit:
    Packaged weight:
    4 kg
    Rate this product:
    Average: 5 (1 vote)
    Related products

Jewellery Tumbler Drum - TP911A
    Jewellery Tumbler Drum - TP911A
    £9.15
    » VIEW
    Stone Jewellery Tumbler Drum - TP912A
    Stone Jewellery Tumbler Drum - TP912A
    £11.13
    » VIEW
    Barrelbrite Barrel Brite Barrelling Powder Compound 1kg - TB941
    Barrelbrite Barrel Brite Barrelling Powder Compound 1kg - TB941
    £12.90
    » VIEW
    Mixed Steel Shot 1kg - TB955A
    Mixed Steel Shot 1kg - TB955A
    £19.99
    » VIEW
    Mixed Steel Shot 2Kg - TB955
    Mixed Steel Shot 2Kg - TB955
    £35.48
    » VIEW
    Pioneer Mini Jewellery Poilsher Barreller Barrelling Machine - TB93
    Pioneer Mini Jewellery Poilsher Barreller Barrelling Machine - TB93
    £120.00
    » VIEW

Prices displayed ex VAT. VAT (@ 20%) only applies to EU countries.

follow HS Walsh on Twitter

Any comments?
    David

We have been over this quite a bit David. I can only emphasize that ultimately any tumbler is only as good as the shot.
    You will note it says mixed steel shot, which without extra care is liable to transfer rust and taint your pieces. The word 'Stainless' is missing.
    You might also find that the pieces are crudely cut and/or larger than you might expect, so ensuring a poor result.

You can do better by choosing all the items listed yourself, using the advice the members have given above. There's no point in 'saving' twenty or thirty pounds by buying a package of trouble. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 17-08-2020 at 06:44 PM.

Good advice....thanks!
    David