Thread: bringing in the top of a raised bowl

Default bringing in the top of a raised bowl

HI

Id like to learn how to bring in the top of a metal bowl...

I have been teaching myself how to rais a metal bowl, using copper/silver. i have been using a wooden doming block to do the first rounds of blocking then one long raising stake at the moment and have been able to make a nice bowl shape.

However i want to learn how to bring the top of the bowl in, so that it curves in at the top, shrinking the metal somehow so there is a smaller opening than the widest part of the bowl.

im wondering if i need a special stake for this or can i do it with what i have ? happy for your advise.

Regards Daniel

A quick & easy method to bring in the top edge of a bowl is to sink it - stick it on its side, use a stump (or block of end-grain pine, for example) and hammer a course with a domed headed hammer. That'll start to curl it in. Repeat as needed, with annealing.

If you're looking for something more substantial, investigate angle raising - essentially you break the vessel into segments and raise each angle in turn (so for the base section, you raise the entire thing to that angle; then bring in vertical walls a set distance from the base, then neck in the upper section for example). Finegold & Seitz has a good explanation of this. Obviously, the narrower the aperture, the narrower the stake needs to be...

Thankyou Peter ... thats helpfull, sometimes its just the simple information that allows me to be able to start working something out. Cheers Daniel