Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bezel short

Default Bezel short

I cut my sterling silver teardrop bezel (made from L shaped bearer wire) I little bit short can I save it, stretch it perhaps? Or should I just start again? It was going so well but I knew that pointy bit might cause me trouble!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200908_124242_compress54.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	12697
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200908_124223_compress67.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	12698

If you have to some material the same thickness as the slot, you can shove it in and solder it up. It will mean you have 2 solder joints instead of one and you will need to trim up the seat for the stone.

You might be able to stretch the curved end just enough on a triblet. I know this sounds silly but have you tried turning the bezel over? Just sometimes it turns out slightly bigger on the other side and then of course sometimes it doesn’t! That may just be me though

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    You might be able to stretch the curved end just enough on a triblet. I know this sounds silly but have you tried turning the bezel over? Just sometimes it turns out slightly bigger on the other side and then of course sometimes it doesn’t! That may just be me though
    No that makes sense. Nothing is ever the exact same length on both sides unfortunately I can't do this in this case because it has a preformed seat. I have been rolling it on a mandrel and it's marginally bigger but being sterling it's not very keen on being stretched. I might try a little more or go for Alastair's suggestion next.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheen View Post
    No that makes sense. Nothing is ever the exact same length on both sides unfortunately I can't do this in this case because it has a preformed seat. I have been rolling it on a mandrel and it's marginally bigger but being sterling it's not very keen on being stretched. I might try a little more or go for Alastair's suggestion next.
    I forgot you said it was bearer wire. The last time I did that on a pear I soldered a post at the end and made it a feature!

I forgot you said it was bearer wire. The last time I did that on a pear I soldered a post at the end and made it a feature!
    Ahh, now that's an interesting thought. I like that idea! Mmm some sort of feature. That'll get me ruminating

Quote Originally Posted by Sheen View Post
    Ahh, now that's an interesting thought. I like that idea! Mmm some sort of feature. That'll get me ruminating
    Oh no! Ruminating where will it end

That's a brainwave from Caroline. You can have the gap wherever you choose, solder in a vertical wire and make it into one of your signature prongs. Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    That's a brainwave from Caroline. You can have the gap wherever you choose, solder in a vertical wire and make it into one of your signature prongs. Dennis
    Thanks Dennis. I think that may be the only brainwave that is still working. I should maybe have saved it for myself!

Thanks Dennis. I think that may be the only brainwave that is still working. I should maybe have saved it for myself!
    I will be forever grateful for your brainwave and we'll all fill that gap in our own particular way. I'll put a picture up when I finish mine Though it may be a little while, having to lie down a lot at the moment which is rather inconvenient for the making.