Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: starting up a small online business

I had a portfolio advert page in the classifieds on eBay hoping it might get exposure on eBay without selling there, which wasn't expensive, something like £3.50 a month with 20 photos - but I'm not aware it did much good.

@ glen: You can integrate PayPal as a payment system with all the major cart systems I've tried (I settled on CubeCart) - it's not necessary to have a merchant account, I don't.

For a seller with no experience or budget for setting up their own site, you can open an Etsy shop (and there are many other such selling venues) and both sell there and integrate your Etsy mini onto your own site if you prefer to market with your own domain.

Trudy hit the nail on the head
    Boo I was just looking at Amazinbabes etsy site funny enough
    I then ventured to your site, love yr site, very similar to mine own but i didnt use cubecart.

The thing is that paypal is a payment gateway and a merchant account in one. Ideal for those starting out (like me)

Hm, last time I looked at setting up a store on ebay the costs involved shoked me - especially since it appears that over the last 18 months or so they've hugely increased the costs of having a store on ebay. I could be wrong of course, but it looked like I'd have to sell a lot of items to make it worth having an ebay store 'cos of the charges involved.
    Anne

Feel the fear, and do it anyway!
    Blog: http://www.whiteoakjewellery.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by glen View Post
    Boo I was just looking at Amazinbabes etsy site funny enough
    Thanks for the kind words - the site has been an enormous amount of work to get this far and I still have much to do, but it's hit a state where I've stopped worrying about and just get on with working with it now - I'm sure I'll be perpetually tweaking it. I meant to post my Etsy shop too and forgot: Jewellery hand crafted in Lancashire England by boojewels on Etsy

I did also have a Folksy shop (UK based) but just didn't like the interface and have abandoned it now - never sold anything there. So I just concentrate on my own shop and Etsy - the two compliment each other pretty well and it's enough work.