Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: starting up a small online business

Hi Silvergirl why did Mr site say next week you can usually get it up and running within moments of buying, did you buy from the web or did you buy a box.?

It's great about the website, and agree with the 2 previous posts about the name. The association I make with Jewellery 2 go is similar to Jayne, but the first thing I think of is cheaper end jewellery, which is not a negative if that was the intention.

Do you know the type of customers you would like to target? Think of the places they will shop at already for other things -Asda, Tesco, Sainsbury's or Waitrose for instance - what appeals to them and why do they choose to shop in those places, is price important, or is it the quality of the products they are buying, or is it the service they recieve that is important? Try to think of the other places they will shop at - clothes shops for instance - are they shopping at Primark, Monsoon or Independents? That way you will be able to build up a picture, a bit like a mood board of the person you want to sell to and you'll be able to think in their mindset (at least that's the idea).

Also have a look at the other names of jewellery makers that you think your jewellery is aligned to - have a look at the names of the other makers on this forum - there are loads of really good ones! You want it to be something memorable so that people recognise it. I often think using your own name is a great way of doing this, and many of the jewellery makers I like and remember are those who have used their names as their company name - and it can be more personal, which adds to the fact everything is handmade.

I think you'll find jewellery2go is already registered (certainly as a .com) and I think it's always a good idea to have a unique name if possible.

Silvergirl, and silvergirljewelry are also taken.

When you register your domain name with Mr Site, it will tell you if the name is available.

It's worth being careful about the words jewellery/jewelry as the difference between the US and UK spellings can cause confusion.

As Mr Site works on an annual basis, it may be worth holding off registering your copy until you have your photography and text ready to start uploading, otherwise you're effectively paying for a blank site while you get it ready.

Yes, I was thinking a similar thing as PaulJoels mentioned, which is that 'jewellery 2go' sounds like a quick turnaround jewellery idea? Is that what you wanted to do?

I know I wouldn't want to convey that kind of message for my website if I was doing one, as it would put me under too much pressure. (I've had enough of that in my previous job)..

You might want to think about what sort of website you want to have, is it one where you make up lots of stock and then send out as necessary, or have a six week turnaround time for orders to be 'made on request' type of thing?

Just a thought..
    Last edited by Petal; 06-10-2009 at 11:14 AM. Reason: missed a bit
    Jules

hi guys
    thanks so much for all your advice.
    can anyone help me with a name that would be more better then jewellery 2go??

Ah, Silvergirl, I wish I could give you an easy answer..........
    I think the name for your business and website will be unique and particular to you and will be born from a combination of your personality, your style of jewellery and the image that you want to portray. It took me weeks (literally) to find the right name for my site, most of it spent annoyingly snapping 'NO!' at family and friends when they made suggestions (they didn't share my vision ha ha).
    Then, there is the demoralising experience of typing it into Google to find that someone is using your 'unique' business name already
    Grab a thesaurus, have a brainstorm and see what you come up with, oh and GOOD LUCK
    J x

A lot of jewellers use their own name, which I think conveys the message that the work is hand made by them. I'd be much more inclined to buy from someone who uses their own name as otherwise it's a bit too impersonal and sounds mass produced. I'd never buy from Jewellery2Go, no matter how much I liked the jewellery. As said before, it depends on the market you're aiming for. If it's teenagers, then they won't pay much.

Question

hi guys

I've come up with a name what do you think of this one :
    evanescence's jewels . is this one any better then jewellery2go ???

Depends on how much you want to be associated with the band of the same name I guess

I'd go with the majority here, and recommend seeing if you can come up with something using your own name - or make one up if you don't feel comfortable with your own!

Quote Originally Posted by silver Girl View Post
    hi guys

I've come up with a name what do you think of this one :
    evanescence's jewels . is this one any better then jewellery2go ???

drop the 's (too many s's) and I think you're on to something good.

evanescence jewels

Yup, I like it
    J x