Thread: Tarnishing info

Default Tarnishing info

I've been researching tips on stopping tarnish and found this on the BAO website and thought it might be useful to others. https://theassayoffice.com/tarnish_labexpert
    Jules

That was very enlightening looks like I have a re think coming up

I was quite astonished about some of the findings and wonder if its almost too much information to give customers, or perhaps not??
    Jules

I isually roughly wrap mine in ordinary tissue with a black garnish tab in the jewellery boxes I use when they are sold which have got a bit scabby or the corners have gone. My work can lie form one OS to the next year and usually only needs a quick dip and washing up liquid wash. I find the tabs work well.
    Someone on another forum was complaining about tarnish after being in boxes and we wondered if it was perhaps the glue

That's interesting Caroline, I think I'm going to do a test with my jewellery, give it a clean, wrap in acid free tissue paper, along with a tab and see how it fares. God knows what sort of glue they use in packaging!
    Jules

I just use ordinary tissue from eBay, not sure it’s acid free as the BAO said that acid free has sulphur. I get my boxes from the Bagnbox Man because I know most of my customers throw them out and put them in their own jewellery boxes so they are expensive enough!
    The tabs seem to be good though and I don’t think their is an end date on them as someone suggested as long as there isn’t air getting into the boxes