Thread: Silver plating Q

Default Silver plating Q

Good day, been out for a while but back and looking for some advise.. I made a ring for a friend from Sterling silver and always .... always getting firestains. I am tired from spending hours to get rid of those by polishing so my questions are : would silver plating help as last solution and also to hide small imperfections?? any tricks to keep in mind like thickness etc? any different methods or only method is normally in use? Sorry asking maybe silly stuff but have not done it yet, plus I 'd love to ask any companies maybe some can recommend who does it by post.?
    TX

I am unsure whther you are uk based or not. There ae companies that will do this for you, such as rhodium plating something. IMO, though, I'd be wanting to ensure I'd made the best job of removng firestain myself, rather than trying to cover or hide it.
    Jules

Quote Originally Posted by Petal View Post
    IMO, though, I'd be wanting to ensure I'd made the best job of removng firestain myself, rather than trying to cover or hide it.
    I am Surrey based.... but agree removing it better thought I spend so much time every time that it's a killer ....... last ring took me 5 days and always was some little bugger in the corner......

The best way to remove firestain is not to create it the first place

true.... but how to... I have sprays and whatever I do they are happening, even when sand casting

Pretty much means you are over heating the silver, it won't work with sand casting, but Try Boric Acid mixed with Metho into a thin paint consistency, coat (dip ) the item and then light and burn off the Metho this will leave a whitish covering then solder as usual, always practice applying only enough heat to do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    Pretty much means you are over heating the silver, it won't work with sand casting, but Try Boric Acid mixed with Metho into a thin paint consistency, coat (dip ) the item and then light and burn off the Metho this will leave a whitish covering then solder as usual, always practice applying only enough heat to do the job.
    Might try this one .... I have riogrande spray and does not work... possibly I am terrible at controlling flame.... indeed. What alchohol is best to use?

I use Methylated spirits, some local my be able to give you a equivalent.

Firescale is cupric oxide, forming below the surface of sterling silver and lower carat golds, by prolonged heating with an oxidising flame.

Measures to reduce it will be to shorten the heating period, and use a more bushy flame, by partially closing the air hole of the torch if possible. Keeping the flame moving and working in a darkened area to avoid hot spots will help too.

You can also apply flux over the whole surface, rather than just the area being soldered and apply generous amounts of flux when melting metal for casting.

Firescale can be removed by aggressive polishing, for instance with Scotchbrite wheels, but as it shows up much less on matte or satin surfaces, it is difficult to know when it has gone. Viewing the area through greaseproof paper, or baking parchment shows it up.

Measures to disguise it are plating, giving it a matte, satin,or textured finish and depletion gilding. Depletion gilding is simply to heat and pickle over and over, until there is a surface layer if fine precious metal.

Good to hear from you Anna, Kind regards, Dennis.

There is a thorough article examining the different aspects of firestain here:

http://www.silversmithing.com/1fire.htm