Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silver and Gold disc pendant

Default Silver and Gold disc pendant

Hello! I have an idea for a predominantly silver disc pendant but with a small amount of gold melted into it on the top. So it looks a bit marbled I guess. Obviously if I melt them together the gold is going to mix with and disappear into the silver. Is there anyway that this can be done do you think? Thank you in advance

Three ways come to mind and no doubt the members will think of more:

Get a battery powered gold plating pen like this: https://www.goldn.co.uk/product/batt...d-plating-pen/
    Your money will not be wasted, because you will find other applications for it.

Get a small amount of 18ct gold solder wire. Place a small snip on the silver and heat from the back. As you see it begin to melt, twirl it with a titanium soldering probe.

Get some gold foil, cut it to shape and apply as keum boo

These ideas will require practice on waste pieces. The effect of gold on silver is subtle, so might not impress everyone. Dennis.

I do Keum Boo and you can build up the layers
    I’ve also started melting thin gold sheet onto silver. It’s a matter of catching it in the melt and before it disappears to get the effect you want
    Given the price silver has risen, I haven’t checked on gold foil of thin sheet, this may become a luxury I can no longer afford to play with

I do Keum Boo and you can build up the layers
    I’ve also started melting thin gold sheet onto silver. It’s a matter of catching it in the melt and before it disappears to get the effect you want.
    Have also tried the 18ct gold solder, I must have used too much as it ended up a bit blobby and not at all the way it looked in the book:/
    Given the price silver has risen, I haven’t checked on gold foil of thin sheet, this may become a luxury I can no longer afford to play with
    Last edited by CJ57; 04-08-2020 at 09:41 PM.

Thanks so much for the great suggestions both! I have gone with the gold foil tip and just ordered some online. Although it seemed rather cheap at £5 for 100 sheets so I am not sure what the quality will be like but it says its 22ct. I am not that experienced so I guess good to just play around with.

I think you are right given that Cookson’s was £82 yesterday. Did it say how thick it is ? Good for playing with though

Oh dear, I wonder what I have bought then.
    It was this one https://www.wish.com/search/24k-gold...on=1&share=web
    Doesnt say how thick but it does say its edible soooo, I'm thinking it may not be the best! It may not even work.

I'd be surprised if it's anything more than gold-coloured aluminium. This is Wish, after all.

Well they say it is genuine gold leaf, but it is probably too thin to resist burnishing. What you really want is gold foil.
    Here is an old thread on the subject:
    https://www.cooksongold.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3789 Dennis

This is the stuff I buy - it's a smaller sheet than the Cooksongold one but the price is relative and it's very good. I lucked in with the one I bought as it turned out to be two sheets.
    http://www.metalclay.co.uk/gold-foil...l-for-keumboo/