Thread: Using Cooksons 5 Hole Disc Cutter

Default Using Cooksons 5 Hole Disc Cutter

Hello everyone, I've just purchased the Disc Cutter 5 Hole
    Item No: 997 3602 from cooksons.

I've only ever used one once before and I don't intend to use it that often so I bought the cheaper one that Cookson stocks.

It arrived yesterday. I've just had a go using 0.7mm copper. Greased it well and it went through like a dream but the punch is stuck fast. So any tips on getting it out.
    Should I hammer from the other side ( on the cutting side?)
    I thought it would be tricky getting it back out but it seems fairly stuck

What is it about first time use of any disc cutter! I remember my first post on here being my Swanstrom handle locking fast after my first cut and I just couldn’t get it open. No one answered.

I‘m not sure as I’ve not used one of those but it’s maybe gone through at a slight angle. I’d tap it lightly from the sides with a hide mallet and see it that straightens it up enough to move. I had to whack the handle in the end to unlock it as no one helped. I’ve done much worse to it recently and could really do with a new part:/

Thank you, I know it's not an expensive bit of kit ( it was actually a birthday present from my son) so I didn't want to damage it the first time I used it.

I'll give it a few taps with the mallet....

Whatever you do don't tap the cutting side, because you will cause more damage.
    Try the manoeuvres suggested by Caroline and if that doesn't work, return it for exchange or credit.

If the cutting punch is slightly loose to begin with, it allows it to wedge when hit, particularly with copper, which is soft and sticky. There might even be a tiny sliver of copper stuck in there. Dennis.

I had one of these, and had the same problem every time I used it. I would put it on the edge of the bench, and use a similar shaped piece of dowel (in my case a chopped down bit of bamboo knitting needle) on the top of the punch and whack it through with that.

Thanks you all for the responses. I did use a small punch on the top to tap it all the way through and it eventually came out. I was worried about damaging the cutting edge but it seemed fine.

I have tried it out a fair bit this afternoon and found that if the metal sheet isn't supported on the outside edge when the disc cuts through, the metal drops on the protruding edge so it shifts the punch slightly. Causing the punch to skew a little.
    I'm now using a block of wood the same height as the punch to keep the metal flat when the disc drops through, it still can stick a little bit it's much easier to get out.
    It's quicker and neater than I can cut circles so I'm happy with it.

Default Using Cooksons 5 Hole Disc Cutter

I had the same problem initially but as others have advised knock the cutter through, never from the cutting end. I know use my big metal working vice to steadily increase the pressure instead of wacking the cutter with the risk of the sheet moving a little. Mind you I had to use a piece of gas pipe on the handle of the vice to cut a piece this morning. The sheet was 1.2 mm thick but it cut it flawlessly. Andrew Berry did a very good video on keeping the cutters in good shape. Really makes a difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ruedeleglise; 02-08-2020 at 10:12 AM.

The max thickness of sheet I put in my cutter is 1mm. I wouldn't go up to 1.2mm personally.
    Jules

I've just watched a couple of Andrew Berry's videos - the sharpening of the punches and also using a vice rather than a hammer. Which is really good. Although my cutter Is a bit basic compared to his - he is using one that tightens up keeping the metal secure. But did mention putting spacers into each side of the cutter to keep it al even which actually makes sense now.

I would never have thought about using a gas pipe to cut a disc I obviously need to think outside the box! Fab idea.

Ah the gas pipe is to put onto the vice bar to increase its length!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk