Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can fine silver chains be hallmarked 999 on end cap if a sterling clasp is used

Default Can fine silver chains be hallmarked 999 on end cap if a sterling clasp is used

Hello peeps,
    I need some help with regards to hallmarks.
    I have made some 3.5 mm fine silver loop in loop chain. Can the chain still be hallmarked 999 on the soldered fine silver end caps if i use a pre-hallmarked small 925 lobster for the clasp?
    I don't fancy making a fine silver clasp as it would be either far too soft and delicate or too big and bulky.

Quote Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
    Hello peeps,
    I need some help with regards to hallmarks.
    I have made some 3.5 mm fine silver loop in loop chain. Can the chain still be hallmarked 999 on the soldered fine silver end caps if i use a pre-hallmarked small 925 lobster for the clasp?
    I don't fancy making a fine silver clasp as it would be either far too soft and delicate or too big and bulky.
    As understand it, if the sterling fastener is not soldered on, the piece can be hallmarked 999. If the fastener has been soldered it Wil be hallmarked 925.
    A call to the assay office would verify this. Dennis.

ahaaa ! I see , that makes perfect sense - if they are not soldered together then the two separate pieces of silver can retain their individual identities. I did phone up an assay office a good while ago with the same question but i don't think i did a good enough job of explaining what i meant. I understand that two different hallmarks on one piece could be confusing but being able to separate the two avoids this. Thank you loads for replying Dennis.

Is there not that anomaly that if something has to be removed with 2 prs of pliers then it becomes part of the main piece soldered or not? Confirmation from an assay office would be good

I'm guessing if its on the same piece and integral to that piece it will be marked to the lowest carat so sterling as it poss doesn't meet 999 assay probs. if it was a 999 pendant that can be detached from a 925 then it would be assayed 999

I think what Dennis said makes more sense. A fine silver chain is a fine silver chain and a clasp is just a clasp. If the clasp is taken off then why should the chain be left with no hallmark? I could understand it if the chain was made up of alternate fine and sterling links but it isn't. It's a slinky full on fine silver chain of beauty. Why should a cheapo tiny 925 clasp overshadow the chain. It's ALL about the chain in my opinion. The clasp is just holding the two ends together and not a focal point of the piece. The clasp could be removed and replaced with a leather tie so the chain should have its own 999 hallmark but if you take the chain away all you have is a tiny hallmarked 925 clasp. Anyway that's how i see it.I'm a big fan of fine silver but unfortunately it's not much use for making tiny strong clasps.
    Last edited by Stretch; 29-07-2020 at 11:44 PM.

Because its not all 999 and your selling it on the fact it is hallmarked 999. So if the catch is 925 it will not reach assay so it will be stamped with the next carat down. They wont hallmark a chain without a catch as its not a complete item. Just my thinking this. Just call they are really helpful. Birmingham has just gone back to normal hours now.
    Last edited by josef1; 30-07-2020 at 12:05 AM.

Soooooooo if the sterling lobster clasp is soldered to a sterling spring ring clasp instead of an open jump ring then everything will be fine and dandy as both ends of the chain could easily be removed from each clasp and my lovely chains get their well deserved 999 and hallmark and the lucky owner could detach both clasps and use string to join the chain ends together if they so wished. hahaha Well, i think thats sorted and everyone is a winner. Thanks for nattering to me peeps.

Hiya Josef, There is no way i'd be selling it just off the 999 hallmark - I've said no such thing. , that's deceptive. i'd be selling it as a "fine silver chain with a sterling silver clasp" - so i'd want the hallmarks to reflect this fact and to back it up. .

My chunkier fine silver chains that have a fine silver connector would be sold as "fine silver chain with a fine silver connector" you know the type they usually s shaped. I see the chain and clasp/connector as two individual items and each should have a hallmark. At least that's how i see it. Peeps may disagree but if all i'm doing is telling the truth about what i make then all is good in my book.