Thread: Hello and thanks for having me.

Smile Hello and thanks for having me.

Creating jewellery since the early 90's sold in galleries and craft fairs. Now wanting to photograph my work for selling online, maybe on etsy or not in the high street. my question is: I need professional images of my work and want to do it myself using a mobile phone camera and considering splashing out on a light box sold from cookson's. is it worth it? Thank you

You don't need a light box necessarily. We started out with one, but now use A3 paper pinned to a perspex backing and its been fine. It depends on what you want to do really. Also I don't take pics with my phone and use a DSLR camera, so can't advise you on that.
    Jules

Phone cameras are getting better, and you don't need great resolution to post on a website, so try it and see how you get on.
    It is helpful though to have an editing programme to remove accidental spots, to crop, and and to sharpen your pictures.

The advantage of a bought light box is that you have the neutral background and lighting already in place, and you can take picks whenever the mood takes you

A disadvantage could be that it might be too small for larger items such as necklaces.

A compromise is to buy a 40cm light cube very cheaply on line, or use a large white background as described by Jules. But you will still need at least two photographic lamps and a clamp, or tripod for your phone or camera. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 28-07-2020 at 07:57 PM.

I have tried using the inside of a white bucket with about 8 spot lights (ordinary LED bulbs) directed from all angles which resulted in a dreadful yellow tone. I do like your idea using perspex. Thanks for your reply.

Thank you Dennis. Good points there. It seems I've been using the wrong lighting. I'll have another go. Thanks. Sara