Thread: Sumer is Icumen In.

Default Sumer is Icumen In.

'Summer is Icumen In'
    So goes the ancient song, although you wouldn’t have thought so from the cool and rainy weather we were having at the time of writing, in early June.

No doubt it’s better across the Channel where my daughter lives, so I decided to send her a summer necklace to go with her tan. The postal service seems to be working well and they are now allowed to have meals at outdoor restaurants: an excuse for dressing up.

My pictures show the 3mm thick strips of Perspex glued together to form billets, the silver supports used, and the final necklace, after quite a lot of piercing and sanding.

She already had some silver hoops to wear with it.

Luckily it did get there, so I sent the matching ring. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sn1 The Unpromising Start.jpg   Sn2 The Metalwork.jpg   Sn3 The Summer Necklace.jpg   SN4 Argentium Ear Hoops 20.00mm.jpg   Sn5  The Ring.jpg  

Very summery Dennis. I like the angles on the hoops they catch the light beautifully.
    Weather as forecast here today and we haven’t managed to get a cloud free sky at night to see the comet either

Beautiful work Dennis!

I love the pastel versions of your acrylics Dennis - although I think I'd be wanting to eat them all the time - they're so like favourite childhood sweets!

Love the hoops too - especially the subtle taper at the post end, very clever and stylish

Thank you Caroline, Sandra and George. Yes, the marshmallow acrylics look edible. They also make me think of my first tutor at Morley College Nuala Davieson, now long passed on.
    She was a good silversmith and taught me all the basics in one term, but professionally she made acrylics in the shape of sugared almonds, clear, or blue, for necklaces earrings and bracelets. Her work was on show at every London gallery.
    At the time we were a very elitist lot and thought she was letting the side down. Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Thank you Caroline, Sandra and George. Yes, the marshmallow acrylics look edible. They also make me think of my first tutor at Morley College Nuala Davieson, now long passed on.
    She was a good silversmith and taught me all the basics in one term, but professionally she made acrylics in the shape of sugared almonds, clear, or blue, for necklaces earrings and bracelets. Her work was on show at every London gallery.
    At the time we were a very elitist lot and thought she was letting the side down. Dennis
    Oh you should be on fb jewellery groups Dennis, the elite are alive and kicking hard! They do like to bring people down a peg or 6

Love the way the rings band goes across the top of the ring I love using plastics, but it has to look like plastic. I go by the rule that every material should be itself. The worst stuff is plastic trying to look like metal or brass trying to look like silver. Unless there's a good reason why you are going to use such things of course (weight, strength etc.) Anyone ever used bakelite? It's a fabulous plastic and bucks the trend great imitating wood, tortoiseshell shell etc. I wonder if they still make bakelite? It was expensive at the time.

Thank you Sheena. In my youth bakelite was everywhere: telephones and astrays come to mind. It was dark and opaque, so colourwise, acrylic is more versatile.
    Apart from these pastels, I still try to mimic the retro look. Dennis.