Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pickle problem.....in a pickle!

Default Pickle problem.....in a pickle!

Made up a new bowl of safety pickle. For the second time in a row it goes all cloudy when I pickle anything. Makes very difficult to find little bits and pieces! Have used same make of safety pickle for a couple of years. Clear as a bell till I put objects in it. I also swear it isn’t as effective as it used to be....same batch Vitex from Cooksons. Any ideas? Could the ceramic liner of my slow cooker have become denatured or something?

Just a thought......it appears to me that the pickle is getting hotter than it used to. This slow cooker doesn’t have an alterable thermostat so I usually heat it for 20 mins before using it to pickle for up to 30 mins. If it’s limiter has gone AWOL then that would account for the temp appearing hotter. (Haven’t got a suitable thermometer to test it with) If you think the heat might be the culprit what would you recommend me to replace the pot with. Cooksons a a wee bit expensive......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ruedeleglise; 26-07-2020 at 04:25 PM.

If it’s hot and not working then it sounds like the pickle.
    I prefer alum crystals. Alum is widely available from amazon as a foodstuff but don’t get the powder as it definitely doesn’t dissolve or work. Strangely my chemist couldn’t even find alum crystals in his book and had never heard of it. All those years of learning!

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    If it’s hot and not working then it sounds like the pickle.
    I prefer alum crystals. Alum is widely available from amazon as a foodstuff but don’t get the powder as it definitely doesn’t dissolve or work. Strangely my chemist couldn’t even find alum crystals in his book and had never heard of it. All those years of learning!
    Thanks will bear that in mind....but see my addendum!

It’s not that heat specific tbh, it only needs to be at least warm and shouldn’t need 20 mins. I don't think I’ve ever left it in for more than 10 unless I’ve forgotten andusually less if it’s clean.
    You could just switch it off again once it’s warm unless you need it on constantly because you’re doing a lot of soldering all day.
    I bought a £20 mini crock from a shopping channel years ago but you can get them anywhere. It has 3 settings on auto and hot. If the lid starts to clatter I know it either needs to be turned off or down!
    Last edited by CJ57; 26-07-2020 at 07:47 PM.

With mine, I put it on the hot setting for 20 mins, then the keep warm setting. Like Caroline, if my lid rattles, I know I've left it on hot for too long. Could you try some in a bowl, sat within the pickle pot, to see if the problem is the pot? I had a prob. with my old one and just bought a new one from Tesco for about £20.
    Jules

If you have small bits and pieces to pickle, immerse them using a plastic tea strainer, but let them cool first. Dennis.

Good ideas. I could nick my wife’s slow cooker and a plastic tea strainer and do a bit of experimentation.....then run like the whatits when she finds out! I have actually been offered a slow cooker with timer and thermostat by a friend, so will play about.
    Thanks for all the ideas..

Quote Originally Posted by Ruedeleglise View Post
    Good ideas. I could nick my wife’s slow cooker and a plastic tea strainer and do a bit of experimentation.....then run like the whatits when she finds out! I have actually been offered a slow cooker with timer and thermostat by a friend, so will play about.
    Thanks for all the ideas..

You could if you want to taint her food, I’d kill you myself!
    You can buy a set of 3 wee seizes from Amazon really cheaply. Remove the handles and lift them out with the tongs or as I do rake about in it with my fingers

Default Pickle problem.....in a pickle!

I like living dangerously! I think I am heating the pickle up too much as I wouldn’t put my fingers in the pickle.....much too hot.

I think you probably are! It should be the least thing you have to fret about. Warm enough to remove the soldering debris to milky white and that’s it. Then rinse and go to the next stage