Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pickle problem.....in a pickle!

Well Jules gave you a link to a company that sells 2 otherwise amazon is a bit hit and miss. The last product I was sent was a bit like rough custard powder, didn’t dissolve and coated the crock. I’ll order from the company suggested once I get round to working again

I bought the alum (Potassium Aluminium Sulphate) rather than the ammonium Aluminium Sulphate. Hopefully that was the right one to go with, errrr

Yes Its Aluminium Potassium sulphate. The order of words might vary, but only those three are correct. Everything else is an imposter. Dennis.

Right....the final question has to be....what concentration please?
    It really is amazing how one only has to ask and instantly advice and answers flood on. Thanks all of you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm in a hurry, so I use a saturated solution, which is about two or three teaspoons. In a communal workshop, the boss usually doles it out sparingly, hoping to save money.
    The result is that you hang around needlessly, waiting for it to work, but save nothing. Dennis.

I normally bung in a tablespoon, but I've got a relatively small pickle pot. If it doesn't work after about 20 mins, chuck in some more!
    Jules

Quote Originally Posted by Petal View Post
    I normally bung in a tablespoon, but I've got a relatively small pickle pot. If it doesn't work after about 20 mins, chuck in some more!
    It’s a bit like cooking, I don’t measure the pickle just put some in . It’s a bit how like how long is a piece of string as how big is your pickle bath and how much water is in it
    Last edited by CJ57; 03-08-2020 at 09:36 PM.

Alchemy! Thanks...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did actually measure once - and it worked out at a tablespoon per 150ml (which is pretty easy to scale up or down!). That's a reasonably strong concentration because I'm always in a hurry. I keep my water topped up to about 200 ml at any given time - the solution strengthens as water evaporates - and every now and again I bung in an extra lump of alum. I'm too lazy to change the solution completely until I can't see the bottom at all.

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    I did actually measure once - and it worked out at a tablespoon per 150ml (which is pretty easy to scale up or down!). That's a reasonably strong concentration because I'm always in a hurry. I keep my water topped up to about 200 ml at any given time - the solution strengthens as water evaporates - and every now and again I bung in an extra lump of alum. I'm too lazy to change the solution completely until I can't see the bottom at all.
    That’s sounds about right to me George! Except the measuring part, I don’t think I‘ve ever done that