Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pickle problem.....in a pickle!

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    If it’s hot and not working then it sounds like the pickle.
    I prefer alum crystals. Alum is widely available from amazon as a foodstuff but don’t get the powder as it definitely doesn’t dissolve or work. Strangely my chemist couldn’t even find alum crystals in his book and had never heard of it. All those years of learning!
    Ah! thanks for that titbit of information! My alum is the powder, maybe that's why my pickling seems to be hard going.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheen View Post
    Ah! thanks for that titbit of information! My alum is the powder, maybe that's why my pickling seems to be hard going.
    I’ve got into a pickle excuse the pun with the various alums on sale from Amazon. Some have worked really well and then one came as a creamy powder, didn’t dissolve and just didn’t seem to work. Back in the day before internet I bought it as crystal and it worked without issue. It’s just trying to buy the right one

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    I’ve got into a pickle excuse the pun with the various alums on sale from Amazon. Some have worked really well and then one came as a creamy powder, didn’t dissolve and just didn’t seem to work. Back in the day before internet I bought it as crystal and it worked without issue. It’s just trying to buy the right one
    Ebay seems to have more crystal options i think.

I usually get my pickle from George Weill, but have recently found this site https://www.inoxia.co.uk/Basket/Index which is cheaper.

Hope that helps. xx
    Jules

Quote Originally Posted by Petal View Post
    I usually get my pickle from George Weill, but have recently found this site https://www.inoxia.co.uk/Basket/Index which is cheaper.

Hope that helps. xx
    Thanks Jules, fed up with the slowness of my pickling today so i've just ordered some alum from inoxia. hopefully i'll notice the difference

You are welcome Sheena, I hope it all works properly when it arrives.
    Jules

Continuing pickle probs? Despite new slow cooker from Argos with low, high and warm settings, mixing up new solution of safety pickle to the gram in the recommended amount of water, then heating it to 40c ......still not impressed! I pickled a piece for 20 mins and it still looked a bit undone. Must be the new tub of pickle is “off” so going to go down the alum trail now!
    Thanks for all the advice and pickle chat!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ruedeleglise View Post
    Continuing pickle probs? Despite new slow cooker from Argos with low, high and warm settings, mixing up new solution of safety pickle to the gram in the recommended amount of water, then heating it to 40c ......still not impressed! I pickled a piece for 20 mins and it still looked a bit undone. Must be the new tub of pickle is “off” so going to go down the alum trail now!
    Thanks for all the advice and pickle chat!

Pickle never really goes off, I think my first bag of alum sat in a cupboard for 20 years. Some of the safety pickles are just not very good. A good pickle should even work cold over a much longer period

Default Pickle problem.....in a pickle!

Which alum do you get please....crystals or powder from your supplier? Ah just read about “not the powder” so you must get the crystals. There seem to be such a choice though.

Last edited by Ruedeleglise; 03-08-2020 at 07:51 AM.

Well Jules gave you a link to a company that sells 2 otherwise amazon is a bit hit and miss. The last product I was sent was a bit like rough custard powder, didn’t dissolve and coated the crock. I’ll order from the company suggested once I get round to working again