Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Surgical steel.

Don't forget titanium and niobium for sensitive skin

My concern is that I have got some surgical steel discs and posts, but will they silver solder onto silver successfully.?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes they will. Try it on copper first if you are in doubt. The post will still be quite stiff, even after heating, so there is no need to harden it, but a tentative twist will assure you that the joint is strong. Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Yes they will. Try it on copper first if you are in doubt. The post will still be quite stiff, even after heating, so there is no need to harden it, but a tentative twist will assure you that the joint is strong. Dennis
    Thanks Dennis.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well that's surprised me. Had no idea you could solder steel to silver!

I tend to prefer slightly more aggressive flux than borax for stainless steel - Tenacity #5, for example.

Yes, agreed and for other base metals too, sometimes. Trouble is it's quite an investment and what I bought maybe 20 years ago is mostly still there. Also you have to pickle quite fiercely in a hot solution to get off the glaze that forms. Dennis.

Oh yes, it's a pig to remove in comparison.

Not an easy road. You can get medical quality stainless steel wire from Smiths, although you might have to phone them for advice.
    https://www.kcsmith.co.uk/productsearch?q=medical+wire,
    and use it for making ear wires, but you cant really have a soldered post, or metal scroll, for fear of a reaction where it contacts skin, close to the vulnerable piercing.

If you are in an experimental mood, you might try using Argentium silver and Argentium solder, Which fits the bill for many.

https://www.ganoksin.com/article/arg...-road-testing/ Dennis.
    Yet another question my friends!....as this is steel I assume You can’t pickle it ?

You might have to, to get off glaze due to flux, or brighten the silver part. The stainless steel will go dark grey, but is easily repolished. Dennis