Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Bristle brush wheel for bench polisher.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    199

    Default Bristle brush wheel for bench polisher.

    Hi,

    I recently posted a piece I was having a little trouble getting into nooks and crannies of and was advised, by Caroline and think someone else (sorry can't remember who) to use a particular bristle brush wheel for my bench polisher. I ordered it along with a swansdown mop - the swansdown mop hole was too small for my bench polisher so couldn't get it on. Also the insides were either metal or hard plastic and smooth and wouldn't go on my spindles as they are threaded. I did phone cookson for advise and they said they would follow up to see if there was something suitable or if indeed these were suitable and it was me doing something wrong, but despite me calling again they have not come back to me with an answer.

    Are they universal (obviously the swansdown isn't as is too small for my spindles) but they bristle mops, am I being a complete dim wit? Could really do with these at the moment so any advise/ideas would be much appreciated.

    It was these that I ordered https://www.cooksongold.com/Jeweller...prcode-944-010 and ordered a white one too.

    Thank you.

    Karen

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    2,821

    Default

    Hi Karen
    Your mops don’t have a screw fit but they will have once you screw them onto your spindles if you get me. I usually get the bristle with the metal centre but it should be the same with the plastic centre you just have to screw them in quite tightly. They are sort of self tapping. Just remember to screw clockwise or Away from you, unscrew towards you

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Central London
    Posts
    7,986

    Default

    Yes it's surprising that Cookson do not know the answer, but the sales people might never have used a polishing lathe.
    One side of the hole is often bigger than the other, but I have sometimes used a large burr and made it more funnel shaped to start it off. Dennis

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    1,354

    Default

    Just start the brush on the spindle and turn the machine on, it will screw itself on, DON'T HOLD THE BRUSH !

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    Hi Karen
    Your mops don’t have a screw fit but they will have once you screw them onto your spindles if you get me. I usually get the bristle with the metal centre but it should be the same with the plastic centre you just have to screw them in quite tightly. They are sort of self tapping. Just remember to screw clockwise or Away from you, unscrew towards you
    Thanks Caroline, I did try as obviously is the same with calico mops but they have leather centre and is easy, maybe I was just a little too tentative because I was worried because it was a metal centre and didn't want to damage anything will apply a little more force. Will give that a go in a minute. Thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Yes it's surprising that Cookson do not know the answer, but the sales people might never have used a polishing lathe.
    One side of the hole is often bigger than the other, but I have sometimes used a large burr and made it more funnel shaped to start it off. Dennis
    Thanks Dennis, wonder if I have anything that I can make the hole bigger on the swansdown, will need to enlarge it quite a bit, but worth a go.

    Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    Just start the brush on the spindle and turn the machine on, it will screw itself on, DON'T HOLD THE BRUSH !
    Thanks, I have done this with the calico mops to tighten them but just couldn't get any purchase with the bristle brushes at all to start it off, will apply more force.

    Thanks everyone, clearly just me being a bit silly.

    Karen
    Last edited by Animalnutty; 14-07-2020 at 08:48 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Central London
    Posts
    7,986

    Default

    This is the sort of thing to get. By saying dental, it ensures a 2.3mm shank. Dennis.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/27213761286...nd%3DUnbranded

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    956

    Default

    Check out Stephen Goldsmith's Polishing and Finishing for all the info you need on mops. H S Walsh are the specialist polishing supplier. https://www.hswalsh.com/
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk
    @pearlescenceltd
    instagram: pearlescenceltd1

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Oxfordshire
    Posts
    157

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    2,821

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pearlescence View Post
    Check out Stephen Goldsmith's Polishing and Finishing for all the info you need on mops. H S Walsh are the specialist polishing supplier. https://www.hswalsh.com/
    Can’t say I’ve ever used Walsh for polishing. I know a lot of people buy from Moleroda because they are good value. I’ve never had any problems with Cookson for polishing items apart from them sending me a couple of kilos of polishing blocks in the same packet as my KC saw a couple of weeks ago

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    1,407

    Default

    I use this place for my mops https://www.thepolishingshop.co.uk/i...lishing%20mops ; they are also good for phone advice too.
    Jules

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •