Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: storing pearls

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Don't forget the anti tarnish tabs for metal.
    I read that the tabs only last 6 months, that put me off. Or am I wrong? My brain's a bit of a mush at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by pearlescence View Post
    Plastic bags. You'll find a lot of mystic-mumbo about pearls all over everywhere.Attachment 12585 This is a photo of just a few pearls in a wholesalers in Hong Kong. It's from my upcomng book Pearls, a Practical Guidee. (Crowood, next february)
    I think it was about pearl's needing to breathe, they dry out in plastic, and they need a special cloth pouch. And they get scratched easily. Oh and that they don't like chlorinated water/tap water. So I can ditch my pearl anxiety now? If these things are rot I'd be liable to use pearls more.

Ps we'll all have to buy your book!

Quote Originally Posted by Sheen View Post
    I read that the tabs only last 6 months, that put me off. Or am I wrong? My brain's a bit of a mush at the
    moment.
    A bit off topic, but for silver I use 3M anti tarnish tabs and in closed containers or bags, they don't have much work to do. So both here and abroad, they last a very long time, possibly 6-7 years. Customers might discard them though unless you use other brands which have a printed explanation.

I have also given up Argentium because, although it looks impressive when new, in bout 6 months it takes on a dull look and is not easy to restore. Also it is very fragile to handle when hot and liable to go into pieces if held in clamps, or quenched too soon.
    Dennis.

You'll find a lot of mystic-mumbo about pearls all over everywhere.Attachment 12585 This is a photo of just a few pearls in a wholesalers in Hong Kong. It's from my upcomng book Pearls, a Practical Guidee. (Crowood, next february)
    Wendy, among acknowledgements you should also remember the oysters, who gave up their lives to make all this possible. Dennis.

All myths. Every pearl farmer and wholesaler I have ever encountered keeps their pearls in plastic bags. A cloth pouch is a good idea rather than just dropping them into a jewellery mass because they can be scratched by sharp and pointy things.
    Pearls don't really mind tap water either. It's the water wetting the silk cord which is not good (stuck inside the pearl it stays damp for a time and rots like any natural fibre would)
    Don't wear a pearl ring if you are planning on some bricklaying - be sensible about them. They're pretty tough within reason. They don't like things like perfume because they are slightly porous.
    If you aren't sure about using pearls any time I'm happy to advise.

Thanks!
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    A bit off topic, but for silver I use 3M anti tarnish tabs and in closed containers or bags, they don't have much work to do. So both here and abroad, they last a very long time, possibly 6-7 years. Customers might discard them though unless you use other brands which have a printed explanation.

I have also given up Argentium because, although it looks impressive when new, in bout 6 months it takes on a dull look and is not easy to restore. Also it is very fragile to handle when hot and liable to go into pieces if held in clamps, or quenched too soon.
    Dennis.
    very useful to know, i shall dig out my anti tarnish tabs and use them, thanks dennis

All myths. Every pearl farmer and wholesaler I have ever encountered keeps their pearls in plastic bags. A cloth pouch is a good idea rather than just dropping them into a jewellery mass because they can be scratched by sharp and pointy things.
    Pearls don't really mind tap water either. It's the water wetting the silk cord which is not good (stuck inside the pearl it stays damp for a time and rots like any natural fibre would)
    Don't wear a pearl ring if you are planning on some bricklaying - be sensible about them. They're pretty tough within reason. They don't like things like perfume because they are slightly porous.
    If you aren't sure about using pearls any time I'm happy to advise.

Thanks!
    thanks pearlescense, the ol plastic bag myth is everywhere. i'm going to print your advice out so that i remember. Once you start using pearls in jewellery designs they are rather addictive. there's nothing else like them.

There are so many myths about pearls. I think the funniest I ever heard was someone asked me if the holes were made by poking though them when they were soft from hatching? And then there was the person who told me that they knew their pearls were real pearls as they had visited the factory (in Majorca) and watched them being made...
    Be warned Sheen, pearls are addictive. Look at me..
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk