Thread: Soldering problem - new torch needed?

Default Soldering problem - new torch needed?

Hello,

I recently tried to make the Holly Cattell bangle from the cookson project book. Using my little butane torch, I had real problems soldering the 5mm bead onto the ends of the 3mm silver wire. I spent all evening trying, and eventually gave up.

The next day, out of interest, I tried again using my plumber's propane torch. No finesse whatsoever, but with a big roaring flame, it soldered perfectly first time.

So, was my problem that the little butane torch wasn't up to the job? A friend told me it should be sufficient because it gets hot enough to melt the solder, but surely it's not just the heat, but the amount of it that also counts? (the little torch didn't even make the silver glow red, the big one did very quickly).

If I do need to buy another torch, would something like a Sievert do? I have read the forums and a lot of people like the Smith's little torch, but it's a bit out of budget at the moment. Would a Sievert torch be powerful enough for projects like this one?

Or is it something else entirely?

Thanks for any help,

Richard

Hi Richard.
    Your torch was the problem. It may be hot enough to melt solder on its own but not to get the rest of the piece up to the heat required for the solder to melt and do it’s job.
    I’ve had a sievert for 40 years so I can’t comment on the Smiths. It does everything I need it to do and the medium nozzle is used all the time. I only put the large burner on if I want to do a big piece like a cuff

I use butane torches for everything, a little one that's good for jump rings and small jobs, a mid sized one from Lidl (they only have them in occasionally) and a larger one that came from a cooks supply place that I think is equivalent to a Blazer Big Shot and was around the same price. I can manage just about anything with that selection. I would buy a Sievert but my tenancy agreement says I can't have large gas canisters so I fudge on by with the cooks torches.

Hi Caroline,

Many thanks for your reply. That confirms my thoughts, and I'll look to get a Sievert torch now.

Best regards,
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Hi Caroline,

Many thanks for your reply. That confirms my thoughts, and I'll look to get a Sievert torch now.

Best regards,
    Richard
    Glad I could help. I’m often tempted by the Smiths and then I think I do very well with the Sievert why start relearning that!

Of course if you already have a large plumber's torch, you might use it in the interim, by modifying the air holes with an Ω shaped strip of copper or brass, which partially closes them. Then you can reduce the frightening roar, but don't touch it when it's hot. Dennis.
    Here is my hand held torch:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hand Held Torch Modified.jpg