Thread: DIY torch repairs?

Default DIY torch repairs?

My two beloved Nimrod micro torches are not working. One is jammed and won't ignite at all and the other will ignite occasionally, but won't stay lit for long. They originate from the US and I haven't yet found anyone who can fix them for me. Mine looks very similar to this one https://cpc.farnell.com/iroda/pt-220...-pt/dp/SD01422. The original UK distributor went bust a long time ago, so no luck there. I don't want to buy another one, as I plan to get a Smiths Torch in future, but would just like to try and fix these, if I can.

Any useful tips on what I can do to try and disasemble and make these things work, would be very much appreciated.

At a push, if I can't repair them, which would be better; a Proxxon microflame torch from Cookies https://www.cooksongold.com/Jeweller...ode-999-7703or the Blazer torch from Walshes https://www.hswalsh.com/product/blaz...ng-torch-tt385. I am only using them for very small soldering jobs.

Thanks
    Last edited by Petal; 06-05-2020 at 03:49 PM.
    Jules

Having had no replies, is this because most of you are thinking ... DONT...? Just buy another torch??
    Jules

It’s only been 2 hrs!
    Probably more likely that people are either out enjoying the sun or home schooling their kids.
    When I read it earlier I was going to suggest washing the nozzle but then I only have experience of sieverts so don’t know if this is possible. I did once have to boil mine in washing soda to degrease.Other than that I would t play about with something potentially dangerous unless I knew what I was doing.

TBH, if the small torches give me gyp they get binned. I'll clean the nozzle with a stiff brush to see if that improves things but any more than that they aren't worth the time or risk.
    Per Caroline's comment - Sieverts are serviceable. The dinky ones really aren't (and if you do pull them apart and replace all the O rings they rarely function adequately afterwards).

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    TBH, if the small torches give me gyp they get binned. I'll clean the nozzle with a stiff brush to see if that improves things but any more than that they aren't worth the time or risk.
    Per Caroline's comment - Sieverts are serviceable. The dinky ones really aren't (and if you do pull them apart and replace all the O rings they rarely function adequately afterwards).
    That’s why I was loathe to comment as I’ve never seen a Nimrod

Hi Jules, the mini torches are all much the same in what they can do, so if you are upgrading in the near future, just get the cheapest you can find.

That said, I did buy a Proxxon out of curiosity a few years back and find it comfortable to use and easily turned on and off with one hand.

I have also taken some mini torches apart in the past, but failed to restore them. I have been told that when piezo fails you cant repair it. If the gas still flows, you can light it with a lighter. Dennis

Thanks guys for your helpful responses, I think I'll leave repairing it well alone and will try lighting my torches manually for now. If they fail again, I'll get a cheappie.
    Jules

Default New Torch !

Hi Guys,

Just a quick update to say I bought this torch and can highly recommend it. https://www.hswalsh.com/product/blaz...ng-torch-tt385

Its made me realise how bad the old one had really become and what used to take me many minutes, now takes seconds to solder! I'm a happy bunny and have been soldering most of today.
    Jules