Thread: Clear Enamel for Silver

Default Clear Enamel for Silver

Hello all,

I just have a question about clear enamel, I'm currently teaching myself enamelling and as it goes when I'm teaching myself anything it results in many mistakes! I want to do some counter-enamelling of pendants I'm working on in clear as I'd rather not cover all the lovely silver. I tested one by using a clear flux by WG Ball. Unfortunately after firing it is quite yellow - would anyone know if there are any clear enamels available that will fire completely clear??

I used a kiln, at about 790C for 2 minutes each firing. I did the counter enamel first then after cooling flipped it over and enamelled the front.

I'm not sure I can help you Sandra. I've used the Schauer as a base for some cloisonne and I don't remember seeing any yellow tint.

Are you using sterling or fine silver? If it's sterling have you removed any surface copper/firescale with nitric acid or depletion guilding? This can react with the enamel.

Quote Originally Posted by alastairduncan View Post
    I'm not sure I can help you Sandra. I've used the Schauer as a base for some cloisonne and I don't remember seeing any yellow tint.

Are you using sterling or fine silver? If it's sterling have you removed any surface copper/firescale with nitric acid or depletion guilding? This can react with the enamel.
    Alastair I am using fine silver for this project. I think maybe I should try a different clear enamel, I will look at the one you mentioned, thanks!

Schauer have 6 different fluxes, its a minefield, I should imagine W.G. Ball are the same. You might try contacting them and they may be able to advise on an appropriate flux for your purpose.

This popped into my Instagram feed today, it has the properties of a number of different fluxes. You will have to hit the translate link. Hope it helps.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCdTnZeirOa
    Last edited by alastairduncan; 10-07-2020 at 03:37 PM.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by alastairduncan View Post
    This popped into my Instagram feed today, it has the properties of a number of different fluxes. You will have to hit the translate link. Hope it helps.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCdTnZeirOa
    Wow thanks for that! I am able to see exactly what I need now - the 2020 Thompson clear for silver. Next mission is to find it!

The post is not a complete list and your processes may differ so I would recommend a test but I'm sure you would do this anyway. You may be able to get a small sample from a supplier.