Thread: Clear Enamel for Silver

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Clear Enamel for Silver

Hello all,

I just have a question about clear enamel, I'm currently teaching myself enamelling and as it goes when I'm teaching myself anything it results in many mistakes! I want to do some counter-enamelling of pendants I'm working on in clear as I'd rather not cover all the lovely silver. I tested one by using a clear flux by WG Ball. Unfortunately after firing it is quite yellow - would anyone know if there are any clear enamels available that will fire completely clear??

I used a kiln, at about 790C for 2 minutes each firing. I did the counter enamel first then after cooling flipped it over and enamelled the front.

I'm not sure I can help you Sandra. I've used the Schauer as a base for some cloisonne and I don't remember seeing any yellow tint.

Are you using sterling or fine silver? If it's sterling have you removed any surface copper/firescale with nitric acid or depletion guilding? This can react with the enamel.

Quote Originally Posted by alastairduncan View Post
    I'm not sure I can help you Sandra. I've used the Schauer as a base for some cloisonne and I don't remember seeing any yellow tint.

Are you using sterling or fine silver? If it's sterling have you removed any surface copper/firescale with nitric acid or depletion guilding? This can react with the enamel.
    Alastair I am using fine silver for this project. I think maybe I should try a different clear enamel, I will look at the one you mentioned, thanks!

Schauer have 6 different fluxes, its a minefield, I should imagine W.G. Ball are the same. You might try contacting them and they may be able to advise on an appropriate flux for your purpose.