Thread: Bezel Setting Polishing

Default Bezel Setting Polishing

Hello,

I have taught myself how to bezel set - I pop my ring in the tumbler to polish and then set my stone afterwards.
    I have found that my bezel pusher decreases the shine on the bezel cup.

I have been putting the stones which are set back into the tumbler but they are seaglass and im not too fussy if they change the stone slightly.

Can I do this with Cabochons or, is there a way to polish the cup and ring once the stone is set?

Some stones will withstand the tumbler, but really the bezel has to be repolished by hand, using mounted silicone rubber wheels, for instance Eveflex 970330 and 970 320.
    You will also need a cheap diamond sharpening plate from Ebay, to change their shape if needed, or restore them if they get grooves: https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/4003305082?iid=152091785192

Before you even start to set, protect the rest of the piece with masking tape, until only the bezel shows. Then you won't accidentally damage the newly acquired shine on the rest. Dennis

Hi Dennis

thanks so much.

Could you recommend a rotary tool to use with the Eveflex Rubber Burr. I recently purchased one but sent it back as it broke.

Thank you again.

Quote Originally Posted by jaybird View Post
    Hi Dennis

thanks so much.

Could you recommend a rotary tool to use with the Eveflex Rubber Burr. I recently purchased one but sent it back as it broke.

Thank you again.
    There are these, very unobtrusive micromotors which just sit on your bench. No experience of this particular company, but worth the gamble. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dental-La...kAAOSwAchd9vCG

They are despatched from Lausanne Switzerland (but are probably made in the far east), so you might still have to pay import duty and a handling fee. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 07-07-2020 at 08:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jaybird View Post
    Hi Dennis

thanks so much.

Thank you again.
    I use the 3m radial disks from cooksons along with different polishing papers. The 3M disks work a treat tho.

Another alternative machine is one of these, although mine is white and not blingy gold. I've been using one of these for about three years now, although I don't make jewellery every day. But it's great, has a foot control, takes 2.35mm shanks and has variable speed by hand if you prefer.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30000rpm-...QAAOSwRvFfAS4G

I use it for polishing, grinding back excess material when I'm shaping, use it with small ball burrs and drill bits although I do find that if I'm opening up anything larger than a 3mm hole it tends not to cope, so I go back to my little hand held drill.

You can also use a burnisher on the bezel edge, (takes a bit of practice)