Thread: Trying another stone setting

Default Trying another stone setting

So, the Unpleasantness has left me with a little extra time on my hands and I purchased a couple of online tutorials from a maker who's out in Kuala Lumpur. Very informative and clear they are too. One of them was how to create a textured bezel setting as in all of my scouring the Net for free info I've never seen anything that was like this and I don't think I'd have come up with anything like this by myself.

It meant finally getting my hammer handpiece out, something I've been putting off for some reason - possibly because it's just a cheapo one (as is my pendant motor - I know the wisdom is to buy the best you can afford but I couldn't justify the cost of a known brand + the hammer handpiece. £60 for both is more like it, although I did buy a couple of proper anvils as the one that was sent was just cheap plated copper and was going to be useless). It's not like I make every day so this will do for now!

So here's my attempt; 1mm bezel wire on a square wire shank - I did try adding a bit of light reticulation to the square wire but it wasn't quite enough to be honest, never mind - with a faceted marquise moss kyanite stone that has a beautiful sparkle down in its depths, set and textured with a slightly modified hammer handpiece anvil and with a couple of 1.5mm CZs in the band for good measure. I've got some dust like 1mm CZs that I may add in later this week.

This was also the first time making a marquise shaped setting - I know it looks a wee bit wonky but in my defense the stone was a wee bit wonky so it is an exact fit!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200702_182635.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	12572 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200702_181908164-01.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	12573 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200702_182015170-01.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	12574

Thanks for looking!
    Deb

Love the textured setting and it looks a really well fitted stone to me, can't see any wonkiness. I love thick bezels, would like to try it one day

Thank you. I can see it's a teeny bit off but like I say, so was the stone. I love thick bezels, I'm quite fond of using 1mm fine silver wire and hammering it slightly flatter before forming it to use with smallish stones like this labradorite that I set with the culet up.

Name:	pixlr_20200610174830056.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	12575

In the other tutorial I bought she gets you to use ball and cone burrs to add texture to slightly wider backplates, this was my first attempt that that with a little tanzanite.

Name:	pixlr_20200625092323948.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	12576

These techniques have been great to try out - I feel like I need to stop worrying about what will happen if I just let rip (but I'm always mindful of how much the raw ingredients cost). I need to experiment more and stop getting caught up!

What an adventure Deb. Well done you. Dennis.

Thanks Dennis; not so much as an adventure as a reconnoitre.

Quote Originally Posted by misspond View Post
    Thank you. I can see it's a teeny bit off but like I say, so was the stone. I love thick bezels, I'm quite fond of using 1mm fine silver wire and hammering it slightly flatter before forming it to use with smallish stones like this labradorite that I set with the culet up.

Name:	pixlr_20200610174830056.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	12575

In the other tutorial I bought she gets you to use ball and cone burrs to add texture to slightly wider backplates, this was my first attempt that that with a little tanzanite.

Name:	pixlr_20200625092323948.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	12576

These techniques have been great to try out - I feel like I need to stop worrying about what will happen if I just let rip (but I'm always mindful of how much the raw ingredients cost). I need to experiment more and stop getting caught up!
    That's why i've been enjoying using beach found glass and china, don't need to worry about the cost. I feel I can now go back to more expensive items and worry less. I love your labradorite ring. I could easily buy that. I love it being set upside down. When you slightly flattened your 1 mm wire did you then solder it to the base plate end on?

Quote Originally Posted by Sheen View Post
    That's why i've been enjoying using beach found glass and china, don't need to worry about the cost. I feel I can now go back to more expensive items and worry less. I love your labradorite ring. I could easily buy that. I love it being set upside down. When you slightly flattened your 1 mm wire did you then solder it to the base plate end on?
    Once I've bashed the wire slightly flatter and made the bezel I then sand one side a little so that it's completely flush with the backplate. And thank you for the compliment about the labradorite ring. I was all set to keep that one but it sold very quickly after I popped it up onto my Facebook page, I should make myself another one!