Thread: Which barrel polisher please ?

Default Which barrel polisher please ?

Looking for advice re which barrel polisher to purchase People seem to rate the Lorton but there are none to buy in the UK and I am wondering if it’s too big anyway as I will probably only be polishing one or two pieces at a time.
    The Cookson gold seems to have mixed reviews. I like the idea of the quieter rubber barrel but most of them seem to be plastic.
    Thoughts on this and whether to have paddles and whether to have shot with or without pins for a shiny finish would be much appreciated
    Thank you

I can’t answer any of your questions Helyn as I’ve never had one
    I’m wondering why when only intending to polish a couple of pieces at a time you’re choosing a barrel polisher rather than a pendant motor or bench polisher? Reading all the questions that come in about problems with finish with barrel polishers they would give you a much better finish. Someone will no doubt disagree
    I see you asked about bench polishers on another group. It’s all I’ve ever had, starting with a standard double spindle motor, then buying hoods and trying to catch the dust. There are a lot of small polishing units now which I would prefer but I got a Dustmaster maxi many years ago which I couldn’t afford to replace and it has dust extraction so as long as it keeps working!
    Last edited by CJ57; 05-07-2020 at 03:34 PM.

Hi, The Lortone 3A is quite small and the only one I can recommend. Tumblers make a soothing seashore sound and I don't think the difference between plastic and rubber barrels is so significant.
    However the best lids have a thumb screw to tighten them. Those which are just pushed on soon leak and turn back your fingernails when trying to remove them
    Internal ridges, hasten the action.
    The pinpricks due to the needles, makes them unsuitable for smooth flat areas, but they are fine for textures and wires. Dennis

Thanks so much Caroline Much appreciated. We had a barrel polisher in my jewellery course so I guess I thought it was the way to go. I think I prefer the polisher though if it’s a choice rather than needing both but I am concerned about dust and they are so expensive with covers.

Thank you Dennis That is really helpful information. Pity there are no Lortons around in UK at the moment
    I will keep my eyes peeled.

Quote Originally Posted by Helynwilder View Post
    Thanks so much Caroline Much appreciated. We had a barrel polisher in my jewellery course so I guess I thought it was the way to go. I think I prefer the polisher though if it’s a choice rather than needing both but I am concerned about dust and they are so expensive with covers.
    I know the dust was a real problem for me. I tried buying hoods and fixing up a hoover which worked to an extent. People make wooden hoods or even cardboard boxes. They’ll trap a lot of dust but I sill couldn’t cope. I got the Dustmaster for a bargain price which was still the most I’ve spent on anything. Shockingly they’re now at least twice the price on Walsh. You might think of using ‘cleaner’ compounds like luxi or menzerna. Even with extraction I’m still masked and goggled, it’s really stylish!
    I saw you have a pendant and I know a lot of people only use that. Maybe in the meantime until you’re making more invest in some good mops until you decide on a polisher and what’s best for your needs.
    I was really spoilt at College and you forget it’s all there to cover every requirement and there’s a technician to keep it all pristine. You’ll find in the real world you’ll make do with things you utilise on top of some good basics
    Last edited by CJ57; 05-07-2020 at 05:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    I know the dust was a real problem for me. I tried buying hoods and fixing up a hoover which worked to an extent. People make wooden hoods or even cardboard boxes. They’ll trap a lot of dust but I sill couldn’t cope. I got the Dustmaster for a bargain price which was still the most I’ve spent on anything. Shockingly they’re now at least twice the price on Walsh. You might think of using ‘cleaner’ compounds like luxi or menzerna. Even with extraction I’m still masked and goggled, it’s really stylish!
    I saw you have a pendant and I know a lot of people only use that. Maybe in the meantime until you’re making more invest in some good mops until you decide on a polisher and what’s best for your needs.
    I was really spoilt at College and you forget it’s all there to cover every requirement and there’s a technician to keep it all pristine. You’ll find in the real world you’ll make do with things you utilise on top of some good basics
    Thanks That’s really good advice I will just get going with what I have which is most things and buy the bigger expensive stuff when I start producing more work.

I've got one of these

It comes with really awful steel shot so you'll have to spend another £20 or so on some stainless steel shot (again from ebay) but I've been using one of these for the last three years and it's been great. It's noisy, so put it in a room where you can't hear it! I put in enough water to cover the shot with about 1cm more and add a drop of washing up liquid - I've got some Barrelbrite compound but I genuinely don't see the difference in finish so I keep the Barrelbrite to use with another tumbler someone gave me and some ceramic cones for when I want I matte finish.

Helen, I've posted this here, as there's lots of info on tumblers. https://www.cooksongold.com/forum/se...archid=1894864
    Jules

Thanks for the info. I guess I can just put it in another room and good to know about the ceramic cones.