Thread: Tempering silver sheet

Default Tempering silver sheet

As ever need your bank of experience and knowledge please. I have been asked to make a bank note clip out of silver. I would like advice please about the thickness you would advise and related to that how best to temper it so to retain its spring.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi, 0.8mm is about right, so if you have a rolling mill, roll down slowly from 1.0mm turning at each pass to keep it flat and it will be hard enough.

You can also take this opportunity to wrap it in fabric, or hand made paper to texture it and wrapped it will keep it flat.

Lastly you can precipitation harden, if you have the means, at 280°C for 2hours. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Hi, 0.8mm is about right, so if you have a rolling mill, roll down slowly from 1.0mm turning at each pass to keep it flat and it will be hard enough.

You can also take this opportunity to wrap it in fabric, or hand made paper to texture it and wrapped it will keep it flat.

Lastly you can precipitation harden, if you have the means, at 280°C for 2hours. Dennis.
    Ah! I don’t have a rolling mill and I don’t know a thing about precipitation hardening! I must do some reading. Thanks for your advice.

In that case you could just buy a bit of hard silver and do some hammer work on the front of the clip, if that is grequired. The forming of the metal with a mallet would probably be enough to give it the spring required

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    In that case you could just buy a bit of hard silver and do some hammer work on the front of the clip, if that is grequired. The forming of the metal with a mallet would probably be enough to give it the spring required

I will experiment. Don’t know if a polished or hammered finish is required as yet! But I know there is another requirement! A brass decoration has been requested. Of course silver soldering that onto the top leaf will complicate things as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruedeleglise View Post
    I will experiment. Don’t know if a polished or hammered finish is required as yet! But I know there is another requirement! A brass decoration has been requested. Of course silver soldering that onto the top leaf will complicate things as well!

It wouldn’t need to be soldered but could riveted instead

Oh yes! Why didn’t I think of that ! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruedeleglise View Post
    Oh yes! Why didn’t I think of that ! Thanks.

People seem to be scared of rivets. I love using them both for decoration and function