Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stranger than Fiction.

Default Stranger than Fiction.

It's Saturday afternoon, and very quiet on here, so pull up a chair and I'll tell you a story:

We were still on a late summer holiday in Hastings in 1939, when Mr Chamberlain intoned on the radio, in a solemn voice: This country is at war with Germany.

My parents soon went back home, but I at about ten years old, was boarded as an evacuee with some elderly ladies and attached to a school from London.

Some nine months after, even Hastings was deemed too dangerous for us and the word went out that we were going to South Wales. I was provided with a postcard to inform my parents and soon found myself on a train bound west.

Fast forward some seventy years, and I happened to pass the Imperial war Museum in Lambeth, where an exhibition was on about children in WW2, something to do that afternoon.

The rooms were quite dark, and the displays were viewed in small lit up windows. A little way in I had an eerie feeling that I had seen this exhibit before. It was my postcard from Hastings.

My writing has improved a bit since then. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pc1b Imperial War Museum.jpg   Pc2 My Card From Hastings e.jpg  

Oh my goodness Dennis - what a fantastic story! Did you tell them that it was your p/c?

That's a great thing to have, now you can claim to be famous

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Oh my goodness Dennis - what a fantastic story! Did you tell them that it was your p/c?
    Yes George I contacted them, but I felt they were being a bit defensive, possibly incase I tried to claim it back. However I felt it had a good home in their archives. The mystery is how it passed from my mother's possessions to theem. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 04-07-2020 at 06:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    That's a great thing to have, now you can claim to be famous
    Well the Empire is getting a right bashing now, so infamous might be more like it, Bob.

How lovely Dennis and good to know they thought you a dear good boy. You hear such awful stories about some experiences, I hope yours were all good

I ended up on a farm in Pembrokeshire, Caroline. It was a formative experience and I have since thought of Wales as my spiritual home. Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I ended up on a farm in Pembrokeshire, Caroline. It was a formative experience and I have since thought of Wales as my spiritual home. Dennis
    That’s good to hear

That's such a lovely story. I'm glad it wasn't too traumatic for you.

Wow, what a story, I can imagine how odd it felt to see your postcard - that little disconnect between seeing an exhibit and then realising that it was originally yours. And please like everyone else to hear that is was all in all a good experience for you.