Thread: Help! Black residue on ring

Question Help! Black residue on ring

I recently had someone reset a morganite stone into a 14k gold filled ring. They themselves did the gold-smithing.
    It came in one evening and I put it on, and later was down for the night (cooked a little, normal hand washing). The next morning there was what seemed like a dark coating that formed on the inside and also what looked kind of like rust around the sides of the bezel. The dark coating also left a little bit of a mark on my finger that eventually came off.
    I did some "web md-ing" and found that it a possibility could be due to "corrosion in the base metal". I brought this up to the jeweler and she didn't have an answer, but is saying she thinks I'm allergic to base metal. However, I'm not sure how my finger could have a reaction that caused my ring to get a dark coating and rusting? I also don't have any issues from jewelry except red rashes to cheap jewelry after extended wear.

I'm hoping someone might have some insight into it and possibly have a solution up your sleeve. I really want to wear it, but I don't want to go through the process of possibly re-doing it but in solid gold.

In the pictures I circled the "rust" and in the other pic the fingers are pointing to the portions of the ring that didn't darken to show the contrast:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1590079555639-107.jpg   IMG_20200521_081019_3.jpg  

The base metal can become exposed by normal wear and tear, but low carat gold can also be affected by harsh chemicals.

The best advice is to clean it up and then set it aside when doing household tasks, preparing food, DIY, or gardening,

A wise member once wrote here 'You can love a ring to death by wearing it all the time and never taking it off'. Dennis.

I had the ring for a total of 10 hours and that was what resulted. There’s no possible way for me to work any normal wear and tear in.

Also I’m not sure how I’m supposed to clean it like you suggested. It’s literally like the ring rusted and turned streaks of black in certain spots. It’s not coming off

The gold should provide a barrier to the Base metal, I am not saying this is the problem, but maybe the Jeweller polished through the gold and exposed the base metal, clean it with hot soapy water and a tooth brush then examine it closely for signs of the base metal being exposed, if this is the case you will to have it replated.

You say that the jeweller did the goldsmithing.i wonder what goldsmithing was required after setting a stone other than a light polish. It sounds like the gold was maybe quite thin and as has been said the base metal is now causing the problem.
    If you have spoken to the jeweller it’s probably not a technical issue we can help you with
    Last edited by CJ57; 27-06-2020 at 12:05 PM.

Probably you were not careful with the wearing! If the jeweler is not an option for you, try to clean out with the regular toothpaste or baking soda.

Quote Originally Posted by moldyCheese View Post
    I had the ring for a total of 10 hours and that was what resulted. There’s no possible way for me to work any normal wear and tear in.

Also I’m not sure how I’m supposed to clean it like you suggested. It’s literally like the ring rusted and turned streaks of black in certain spots. It’s not coming off
    Maybe a little metal polish such as Silvo and a soft toothbrush? Dennis.