Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mens necklace

Default Mens necklace

I have a commision to make a man's necklace based on this design (that I put together recently). I wonder if anyone could recommend a suitable chain to start with. I would imagine it needs to be chunkier. Maybe a cable or rolo chain? He say he wants it 15cm below the neck.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200609_211105_337.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	12515

what about ball chain?https://www.cooksongold.com/Loose-Ch...100&query=ball chain&channel=u
    It comes in other thicknesses too & just slots into a little clasp NVF BC3X or you could make a clasp for it.

I'd suggest Curteis? https://www.curteis.com/ You have to register to see their prices, as they are wholesale, but they are based in Shropshire, very helpful and good on price too. I'd also possibly suggest asking him to measure any necklaces he currently has, so you can get more of an idea. Mens necklaces can be 18" for smaller necks, 20" being a standard length, up to 24 above the sternum. Good luck and I hope it goes well for you.
    Jules

I like the look of marine chain and its strong too

Quote Originally Posted by Petal View Post
    I'd suggest Curteis? https://www.curteis.com/ You have to register to see their prices, as they are wholesale, but they are based in Shropshire, very helpful and good on price too. I'd also possibly suggest asking him to measure any necklaces he currently has, so you can get more of an idea. Mens necklaces can be 18" for smaller necks, 20" being a standard length, up to 24 above the sternum. Good luck and I hope it goes well for you.
    Am I able to buy from them when I'm just a hobbiest? That's a good idea him measuring a necklace he has. What's in a person's mind can be completely differant to what they've told you

Quote Originally Posted by josef1 View Post
    I like the look of marine chain and its strong too
    never heard of marine chain, will Google that one

ball chain is very distinctive, I feel that it would maybe dominate the design too much. Also the problem of attaching the silver disc to it

Its called anchor chain as well there ;ots of versions of it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BIG_6b7709fc028866a2e1473b0b704c23fd.jpg  

I would have thought you’d want something quite masculine but not too heavy so he looks like a rap artist. Also don’t want the chain to be more important than the pendant. Chain length is a nightmare for everyone as everybody has a different neck size so what might fall just below you could be a choker on him.
    A heavier belcher3? Maybe lightly oxidised and rubbed back. I get all my chain from Curteis too, you just need to register

Hi Sheena. 15cm below the neck is 57cm of chain, when measured on me. That's a lot of silver to waste if he decides he doesn't like it.
    Get him to look at some illustrations of chain, masculine but neutral so as not to upstage the pendant.
    Get him to confirm the length of the chain, with a pendant-like object on it, if necessary using string.
    Then buy the shortest sample possible for him to confirm the pattern, and factor it into the final price.
    Out of the top of my head you might be spending £70 or more on materials when you include the fastener.

We'd all like to see the result. Dennis.