Thread: Melting silver problem

Default Melting silver problem

Hi Im having a problem melting silver to do casting. Ive done it before but only in college with their kit. This time with new silver at home. The silver melted ok but in a pool of pale green liquid. I had just bought a new crucible and prepared it by glazing as instructed. Ive got a feeling this glaze is what melted along
    with the silver and when I poured it it set and blocked the sprue and the silver set behind it. Any help or suggestions please.
    Last edited by Helynwilder; 21-06-2020 at 12:46 PM.

Maybe it has something to do with the quality of silver itself?

This problem crops up here on a weekly basis. Silver needs a lot of heat to melt it and keep it flowing.
    If it's new silver from a recognised bullion dealer, there is no reason to doubt it.
    If you can't melt it sufficiently for casting, your torch is simply not big enough, or hot enough, or you are taking it away too soon. Dennis

Did you read my reply to your previous thread?

I didn’t see your previous reply I posted on the wrong thread I think It’s confusing when you are new. I Havent seen this Particular problem mentioned before I have an extremely powerful torch The silver melted really well The problem is the clear green liquid around it which I’ve never seen before and which poured ahead of the silver and set into a green glass like substance. Does this mean I used too much glaze on the crucible

I bought it from Cookson

What The green liquid problem ? I haven’t seen that mentioned before

This I believe is a more appropriate section to post in and my reply is there, better than having two threads on the same subject https://www.cooksongold.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=10490