Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Microscope in budget?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    46

    Default Microscope in budget?

    Hi guys, can i use eny microscope for setting stones or need be a jewelry microscope? Can be used one? Some one can help me save some money? Or i really need buy the jewelry microscope?

    Thank guys.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Oxfordshire
    Posts
    136

    Default

    How a microscope is marketed does not matter. The features of the microscope and what you want it to do with it do matter. Jewellers have managed very well for a long time without them and done a pretty good job. Having a microscope will not make you a better setter. You will be able to see your mistakes in glorious detail though ;-) Having said that I have recently purchased a budget microscope that I'm very happy with. What is your budget?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    1,273

    Default

    As Alastair said a microscope is a luxury, if you are just starting out, there are many items I would have on my list before a microscope,I do not have one and I set stones regularly

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Romsey
    Posts
    4,898

    Default

    If you're setting or engraving professionally they're more or less an essential piece of kit now. But yes, they magnify the mistakes too... Mine is an elderly Nikon that I picked up for a song; it is a stereo zoom microscope with a reasonable range of magnification to which I've added a boom arm, a barlow lens and a ring light. Nothing jewellery specific about it.

    TBH, I also use mine for things like splinter removal, counting legs on ticks and microelectronics mods/repairs.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Central London
    Posts
    7,863

    Default

    If you are aiming for pavé setting, then a microscope will be very helpful. However the expense does not stop there, because you will need a means of working within its range.

    For everything else, I unreservedly recommend a Lactona 4x magnifying headband (not the 2x], which can be worn with your prescription gasses if necessary. They are very light and you will forget they are on and they will not harm your eyes.

    I value Alastairs opinion, but I must disagree on this. Not seeing well enough is often mistaken for lack of skill. Dennis.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    2,739

    Default

    I seem to remember that Richard is young and his eyesight may be a lot better than most of us! I would start with a headband.
    Thanks for reminding me about that one Dennis as until I can get to an optician mine is just doing the job

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alastairduncan View Post
    How a microscope is marketed does not matter. The features of the microscope and what you want it to do with it do matter. Jewellers have managed very well for a long time without them and done a pretty good job. Having a microscope will not make you a better setter. You will be able to see your mistakes in glorious detail though ;-) Having said that I have recently purchased a budget microscope that I'm very happy with. What is your budget?

    Thank for your help, btw im looking to setting between 1mm-2,5 mm stones the smallest.. my budget is around 300$ USD .
    This week i bought donegal opt visor but im thinking if a microscope would be better as investment.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    As Alastair said a microscope is a luxury, if you are just starting out, there are many items I would have on my list before a microscope,I do not have one and I set stones regularly
    Hi china thank you for answer. Basically right now im between invest in wax carving and start training or a microscope.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Oxfordshire
    Posts
    136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I value Alastairs opinion, but I must disagree on this. Not seeing well enough is often mistaken for lack of skill. Dennis.
    I think you've miss understood me Dennis. What I was implying was that many jewellers have used more simple methods of enhancing eyesight than the microscope. To set well you have to use some enhancement whether it is an optivisor or loupe, a combination of both or a microscope.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    If you are aiming for pavé setting, then a microscope will be very helpful. However the expense does not stop there, because you will need a means of working within its range.

    For everything else, I unreservedly recommend a Lactona 4x magnifying headband (not the 2x], which can be worn with your prescription gasses if necessary. They are very light and you will forget they are on and they will not harm your eyes.

    I value Alastairs opinion, but I must disagree on this. Not seeing well enough is often mistaken for lack of skill. Dennis.


    Hi Denis thank you for ur help, ive bought a 2x donegal headband plus 2.5x loupe so i will have /x and 5x .

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •