Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: De-tarnishing 2mm silver beads

Default De-tarnishing 2mm silver beads

I have a large number of 2mm sterling silver beads that have become badly tarnished. I've tried polishing them with a soft silver cloth (difficult and time consuming) and dipping them in Silver Sparkle solution but to no avail. Does anyone know if putting them in a barrel polisher would work? Thanks!

Yes, Goddards Silver dip is still on Amazon.
    Do them in a glass or plastic jug then transfer to a nylon sieve and give them a prolonged rinse under the hot tap.
    Leave them on a plastic tray to dry. Then finally string them on wire, or strong nylon thread, and rub them with a dry silver polishing cloth.
    Have fun. Dennis

Vibratory polish with wall nut shell and rouge powder. You could probs do the same in a tumbler but I've not tried that.

Hi Dennis
    Is Goddards Silver Dip much more effective than Town Talk Silver Sparkle? Just want to check before I buy. I've worked with these tiny beads for years now and I've found if they tarnish it's incredibly hard to get them back to their original colour. I have about 10,000 of them that need cleaning at the moment from old display pieces that have been taken apart, so polishing such tiny beads individually takes a considerable amount of time. I've tried everything over the years except putting them in a barrel polisher, hence the question.
    Thanks!
    Lynda

Quote Originally Posted by Francofillie View Post
    Hi Dennis
    Is Goddards Silver Dip much more effective than Town Talk Silver Sparkle? Just want to check before I buy. I've worked with these tiny beads for years now and I've found if they tarnish it's incredibly hard to get them back to their original colour. I have about 10,000 of them that need cleaning at the moment from old display pieces that have been taken apart, so polishing such tiny beads individually takes a considerable amount of time. I've tried everything over the years except putting them in a barrel polisher, hence the question.
    Thanks!
    Lynda
    S

Since you have 10,000 [how do you know?] you can afford to put a handful in a tumbler. You'll know in an hour or so.
    Nick

Hi Lynda, I use town talk silver sparkle on a regular basis and can recommend it, plus when we had our shop, we regularly sold it to customers who said their old jewellery came up like new.

I don't know where I read it, but heard that Goddards leaves a residue.
    Jules

Quote Originally Posted by Francofillie View Post
    Hi Dennis
    Thanks!
    Lynda
    I’ll answer too as I put it out there. I believe silver dip is the best, I’ve been using it for 40+ years. The Town Talk products are new to me and I think I’ve only used a polishing cloth from them.

Have not tried Town Talk, but know Goddards will take off really black discolouration.
    There will be a strong smell of hydrogen sulphide (rotten eggs) which is the cause of the black.

I'm afraid the only way to be sure is to try both and compare them.

Let us know. I don't mind loosing to Jules- She's a pal.

Once clean and dry, store them in a closed container or bag, with anti-tarnish tabs or strip, and they won't go black again. Dennis.

Hi Nick
    I would put a few in a barrel polisher but I don't own one, so unfortunately I would have to invest in a piece of kit that I might not use again. (I did say 'about' 10,000 since I know the weight of 500 beads )
    I guess I was hoping that someone might've tried it before...