Thread: What size of saw Blade you use?

Default What size of saw Blade you use?

Im asking because i use 2/0 and i keep broken many of then sadly.. maybe is my poorly skills lol 😂 let me know wich size of saw blade you use and wich brand . Thank for help guys.

Hi Richard,
    The correct answer is that when piercing sheet metal, three teeth of the blade should be in contact with metal at any time. This means roughly that above 1.0mm 2/0 blades are OK. For 0.9mm, you go to 3/0, for 0.7mm and below 4/0.

The brand leaders are Vallorbe and Bergeon, both Swiss.

If you are breaking high quality brands, then you are pressing too hard, or your blade tension is too great. You should only press hard enough to keep in contact with the metal, a feather light touch. The tension should elicit a musical note when plucked, not a twang and not a very high note. As the day advances, fatigue causes lack of concentration and control.

Lastly the back of the blade should be lubricated. A piece of candle, or a tea light will do, rubbed along the back quite frequently. This avoids too much wax being shed and obscuring the scribed marks. Dennis.

Mostly I use 2/0 & 4/0. Even on 5mm steel. The 3 teeth rule is a minimum.
    Tension I usually go for something approaching an E string on a violin (but it depends on the thickness of the blade - coarser blade, lower tone).

hi Dennis thank you for your answer.. yea.. i was cutting a metal 0.90mm with 2/0 actually i have only this XD!! i will buy others right now... the brand that i use is Anthilope a Germany Brand Click image for larger version. 

Name:	149.505D_zoom.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	12524 thank you so much!

Anyone have a way of remembering which size blade you have in your saw. See a lot of posts about storing saw blades and not getting them mixed up so I'm careful to keep them organised. But i forget what size blade I've put in the saw.

Ps for sawing you need to keep your grip loose on the saw handle. One teacher was using the idea that it is a hamster so don't squeeze the life out of the poor thing!
    Last edited by Sheen; 15-06-2020 at 07:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardNy View Post
    hi Dennis thank you for your answer.. yea.. i was cutting a metal 0.90mm with 2/0 actually i have only this XD!! i will buy others right now... the brand that i use is Anthilope a Germany Brand Click image for larger version. 

Name:	149.505D_zoom.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	12524 thank you so much!
    I've tried Antilope, but Vallorbe are better.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheen View Post
    Anyone have a way of remembering which size blade you have in your saw. See a lot of posts about storing saw blades and not getting them mixed up so I'm careful to keep them organised. But i forget what size blade I've put in the saw.
    If you have Callipers Sheena, you can sort them by thickness, more or less: 2/0 0.24mm, 3/0 0.21mm, 4/0 0.20mm, 6/0 0.18mm, 8/0 0.14mm.
    But mostly you judge them by looks. Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    If you have Callipers Sheena, you can sort them by thickness, more or less: 2/0 0.24mm, 3/0 0.21mm, 4/0 0.20mm, 6/0 0.18mm, 8/0 0.14mm.
    But mostly you judge them by looks. Dennis
    Will give this a go, thanks Dennis I should probably try and keep a note when I'm switching blades too ��