Thread: "WAX CARVERS" help a beginner please.

Default "WAX CARVERS" help a beginner please.

hi im richard and im looking to carving wax.
    some one can name the most used carvers blade shape? like for example: (curve blade, flat etc.) im looking to buy single ones so i can make a set of 6 blade shapes... wich one of those shapes in the picture are the mostly used in carving?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2c90df33ff10a71fc09d9d63055f6bf5.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	27.4 KB 
ID:	12521

please name the shape number in the image ,the mostly important by rank 1- 6 for you. thank you so much!!!

1-
    2-
    3-
    4-
    5-
    6-

some one can help me please?

thank you so much guys.

Hi Richard,

Is difficult to say which blade is more used because it depends on how you work and what kind of work do. Some once you start working you'll find what tools work better for you or you discover what each tool can do. For now, just buy an kid assortment type and start exploring. That's my 2 cents. The one I use the most I would say, is #10

Hi Richard,
    I'm with Marcos on this. Don't go in for expensive wax carving tools until you have had a chance to experiment for yourself.

This is a set of tools as used for wax by dental technicians. They sometimes modify the carvers more, but really they are low priced and ready to go. The wooden handled knife and flat carvers can be heated over a Bunsen or spirit burner, and loaded with melting wax to make additions and corrections.

Later you might consider a battery operated electric tool as well, or you might be quite happy as you are.

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Car.../dp/B075S18123 Dennis.

Hi Dennis,

Since you mentioned battery operated tools, can you tell me if dentist marketed heating pens are just as good for wax carving for jewelry? They appear to be the same but at a much lower cost. Thank you

Hi, Dental technicians, make all sorts of prostheses for dentists, and they mostly involve the use of wax which is then processed via the lost wax method.
    For this reason, dental (not dentists) wax tools are suitable for wax carvers in other disciplines.

However you might find the cheapest battery heated tools on EBay for less than $20. This would at least allow you to try them out. The more sophisticated mains ones have temperature control exchangeable tips etc, but that would be for a dedicated professional carver.

Personally I never graduated beyond a set similar to the one first mentioned. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    For this reason, dental (not dentists) wax tools are suitable for wax carvers in other disciplines.

Thanks for your advice Dennis. Thanks for the joke too. Yes, I know that you always get what you pay for. However I bought this one because I've only payed 20 bucks. I do a lot of carving and I use the hand battery pen, heated probes and such...so I'm using this one as just a trial but I know that in the future, I'll probably be shelling out some real money for a big boy one.