Thread: riveting wheel

Smile riveting wheel

I'm making silver rivets for the first time. Is there a way of making smooth edges, please? Also - what and how do I use Bush burr riveting wheel for, please? Thanks very much!
    Nat

Hi Nat,
    Here are some thoughts about rivets:

The wire should be hard, or semi soft, but not annealed, or it will bend. The amount protruding, should be the same as the diameter.
    The hole should be as exact a fit as possible, made with an undersized twist drill and then gently enlarged with a broach by hand.

The best tool for spreading the rivet is a riveting hammer, applying repeated very light strokes, maybe 10 or more on an anvil, or steel block, turning over regularly.
    For rivets to be flush you make slight countersinks to the holes with a round burr first. I have tried the riveting wheel and personally found it useless.

You can also give them domed heads, if you use two hollow nail punches, one in a vice and the other in your hand, with the rivet in between. Quite a balancing act. They are then perfected with cup burrs, but you will need a selection to try for size.

For more delicate work, you can use annealed tubing, and spread it with a scriber. Dennis

Thank you very much Dennis for the detailed advice!
    Nat

I didn't realise that my rivet wire shouldn't be annealed. Thanks for that tip Dennis. I'm always learning

Just my personal experience.
    My main use of rivets has been domed ones for brooch pins. I have tried them every which way. Get them dead soft, and they bend at the ends and look hideous. Maybe I'm just too impatient or heavy handed.

Tubes can be fun too. you've probably seen this very old mixed metal project, where I soldered domes to one end and spread the other. There are tubular spacers for a more 3D effect. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Puzzle Cuff1.jpg   Puzzle Cuff2.jpg  

Riveting wheel hmm! had to look that up, I have never seen one and may I am a bit slow but I can't see how it would be much use in riveting, I assume it is supposed to be used as a burnisher

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    Riveting wheel hmm! had to look that up, I have never seen one and may I am a bit slow but I can't see how it would be much use in riveting, I assume it is supposed to be used as a burnisher
    Thought it was just me and I didn’t bother to look it up. I’ve been keen on rivets both functional and artistic in much of my work but it just involved wire, a hammer and a punch

Well, I gave it my best shot at describing it kindly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Well, I gave it my best shot at describing it kindly.

You gave a very thorough explanation as always Dennis. I must try out your tube rivets for myself, this has reminded me.

I don’t think I’ve seen your cuffs before. Love the effect of the tube rivets
    Last edited by CJ57; 12-06-2020 at 09:12 PM.