Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mens necklace

The other option would be to send him a link to the Curteis website, without the prices, so he can choose some types of chain he likes. That way he has a few choices, plus you can also discuss them with the guys on here, or Curteis to see which ones might suit, if you are not sure. Yes you can register if you are a hobbyist. Let us know how you get on. xx
    Jules

Quote Originally Posted by Petal View Post
    The other option would be to send him a link to the Curteis website, without the prices, so he can choose some types of chain he likes. That way he has a few choices, plus you can also discuss them with the guys on here, or Curteis to see which ones might suit, if you are not sure. Yes you can register if you are a hobbyist. Let us know how you get on. xx
    Not a good idea to give a client too many choices. They often get confused and end up running away. Select two or at most three yourself and provide photos
    Getting any client to measure something they already have which is the length they want is highly recommended.
    Last edited by pearlescence; 12-06-2020 at 12:57 PM.
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Thankyou, everyone for your advice. There's a lot of valuable information. Have signed up for curteis will see when they get back to me. I'm looking at the belcher chains as I reckon he's not going to want anything too fancy or at the higher end. I'll will let you know how I get on. I do really enjoy making jewellery in a unisex style, so I'm hoping it'll turn out blokey the riskiest part is the sea pottery but I'm going to use a tube rivet which should help it man up.

I would agree that too much choice will mean endless dithering, I’ve done it myself with stones for stacker rings, sorry Tabby! Curteis don’t give prices unless you’re registered but I agree that giving customers your suppliers would lead to all sorts of problems with some customers.
    I’m often asked why I don’t make jewellery for men, the neckwires would be the main reason. I did sell a non specific dog tag and he wanted a leather necklet
    Last edited by CJ57; 12-06-2020 at 11:37 AM.

Its a funny thing with mens necklaces and to a certain extent bracelets Caroline. When we first did shows we made a range of 'mens' chunky bracelets, after being asked for big chunky bracelets by some bikers, which still sell well. The following show, they were all bought by petite ladies who wanted something chunky. We make a range of different weights of bracelets, which appeal to both the ladies and men. Some things look 'lost' on the wrist and others look really striking.

Did you find there was a lot of indecision with customers with the stacker rings Caroline? The reason I ask is I've just made a few tube set stones and plan to offer them to customers.
    Jules

Quote Originally Posted by Petal View Post
    Its a funny thing with mens necklaces and to a certain extent bracelets Caroline. When we first did shows we made a range of 'mens' chunky bracelets, after being asked for big chunky bracelets by some bikers, which still sell well. The following show, they were all bought by petite ladies who wanted something chunky. We make a range of different weights of bracelets, which appeal to both the ladies and men. Some things look 'lost' on the wrist and others look really striking.

Did you find there was a lot of indecision with customers with the stacker rings Caroline? The reason I ask is I've just made a few tube set stones and plan to offer them to customers.
    I don’t make rings Jules so had asked a friend to make me a set. I’m pretty sure she wished she hadn’t agreed as she gave me so much choice I was a nightmare of indecision! I would say unless it a commission I would make a set and stick to it.
    There will be groups of people who will like a certain item but I don’t make repeats so that would be a problem for me. I’m pretty sure if I started making jewellery for men it would sell so rarely it wouldn’t be worth the effort.
    I did have a friend who said I should make Harley Davidson logo pendants as they would sell. He was a bit put out when I said I didn’t mass produce and apart from that there is probably some trademark issue!

It's entirely personal but I only like jewellery on men which looks as if it is something they happened on while out hunting or made themselves at the forge. Leather is a good manly alternative to chain. Even Jeremy Clarkson wears stuff on leather and he would run a two minute mile at the mere suspicion of not-manly
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by pearlescence View Post
    It's entirely personal but I only like jewellery on men which looks as if it is something they happened on while out hunting or made themselves at the forge. Leather is a good manly alternative to chain. Even Jeremy Clarkson wears stuff on leather and he would run a two minute mile at the mere suspicion of not-manly
    I now have a vision in my head Wendy! Does this jewellery include tusk and bone too
    Forged would be good too which is why I suggested a bit of oxidisation

Yes, man stuff. Tusk, teeth, bone, bits of wood. Even feathers I suppose, thinking of native americans.
    Anything but the Mr T look!
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Well so far, he wants it pretty much how it was originally. He loves it that much So I've made the silver disc smaller and oxidised everything. He really wants the small original chain but longer. So I've ordered another and something similar but a bit plainer incase it needs to be more male.