Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to Silver jeweleery and just can't get it looking new again after making.. HELP

Like Bob I’ve never used a tumbler and have always polished everything on the bench polisher. A spot of soap in an ultrasonic won’t foam as it’s only vibrating gently.
    Can’t understand why solder would be dislodged unless it hadn’t been done properly, that seems very strange. We all use different methods, toothbrush, brass brush. If the solder remains intact With them then an ultrasonic will be fine.

If you want the finish to be great overall then you would need to polish chain and component parts with the same compounds to get a uniform finish

Just like to chime in and say thanks for all the feedback, much appreciated. I ordered a 7000s yesterday along with some of the recommended cleaning fluid. As for polishing, how long do you typically all buff to get to where you want to be finish-wise? Will look to move up to a dedicated machine later on so I can use both hands to control the jewellery but for now the mini Dremel is pretty good. Currently for the chain I lay them on a large microfibre cloth used for nothing else, then run the mop along the length in the direction that the mop spin is pulling away from my other hand that is pinning it down. It works pretty well but would be easier with both hands lol! Does anyone else on here use the CG "safe" picklean, curious how long most people have ended up keeping it in for.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Button View Post
    Just like to chime in and say thanks for all the feedback, much appreciated. I ordered a 7000s yesterday along with some of the recommended cleaning fluid. As for polishing, how long do you typically all buff to get to where you want to be finish-wise? Will look to move up to a dedicated machine later on so I can use both hands to control the jewellery but for now the mini Dremel is pretty good. Currently for the chain I lay them on a large microfibre cloth used for nothing else, then run the mop along the length in the direction that the mop spin is pulling away from my other hand that is pinning it down. It works pretty well but would be easier with both hands lol! Does anyone else on here use the CG "safe" picklean, curious how long most people have ended up keeping it in for.
    On polishing how long is a piece of string really. With experience you’ll know when something is done. When it comes to using a bench polisher you’d be safest to wrap the chain around a piece of wood and hold the ends in tight or there will be a horrible wrapping round a fast mop accident. I’ve not polished with anything else but your method will be ok.
    Pickling. As I mentioned in my first reply you’d want the silver to have turned white. If the pickle, of any kind, is hot then a few minutes should suffice. It’s a othering learning process and there is no time scale

After watching some more "at the bench" yesterday, I discovered the joys of the nylon bristle brush and even better, I had a few in my polishing kit and it works a charm. Now using this with rouge before switching to the soft woollen mop and rouge with great results on objects. Slightly harder with the chain because using one hand makes it hard to work the item and avoid wrapping. Now ordered the Dremel Multi-vise so I can use both hands yay!
    Last edited by Angry Button; 14-06-2020 at 02:32 PM.