So I had the wise idea of making a platinum engagement ring and a couple of wedding bands... I've never done any jewellery making before, but I do work in electronics and am an amateur blacksmith, so the world of small metallic things is hopefully not all too alien to me!

One very deep rabbit hole later and I'm getting close to giving it a go, however I do have a big problem and that's the material itself. I could read forever and not get an answer, so I thought I'd ask on here to try and expedite things...

From what I can gather I like the sound of a 90/10 Pt/Ir mix, I can buy pure Platinum easy enough, but where on earth can I get my hands on 3g or so of Iridium?

I don't really like the idea of the Pt/Co on Cooksongold, as that seems to be more of a casting mix, and about 25% more expensive than buying the constituent metals.

Another cost is having to buy a sheet of solder, but I've read just a thin piece of the alloy heated in the joint will work with Pt/Ir?

I don't know, I despair, I hope someone can help, I understand the complexity of this craft, but it surely shouldn't be this hard to find information, there don't even seem to be relevant books to buy.

Also the fear of carbon contamination, but I'll leave that for another thread I think!

Cheers in advance.