Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clowning Around.

I have it's little brother although it is branded Elliot it is a Unimat SL DB 200 made in Austria, here is a pic when it was all nice a clean
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010312.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	12512

In fact Yours looks much more sturdy, Bob.

It is quite sturdy Dennis, unfortunately like a lot of high quality machines they no longer make them, at this stage there are still plenty of parts about, can take a bit of searching, you can obtain a spindle for really high precision work with a factory guaranteed .00039"or less run out, I also have the factory collet chuck and collets. I have job waiting to do on it, I have to finish reorganising the workshop first.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I hope you will like it too.
    I definitely do like it Denis :-) it reminds me of sugar icing mmmmm!

I know you are happy with how the stones are set and they look good but I've been thinking, that doesn't sound good does it ;-) Once you have burred out the hole to the correct size, could you put in a groove just below the surface and snap in an appropriate jump ring? Probably a lot easier to have a little dab of glue, but the mind still churns.

Hi Alastair,

You've looked inside my head and seen the debate going on there. The truth is that there are endless decisions that go into each piece, sometimes days and days of experiment, but finally it ends up as a pretty but low value item.

I'm probably stuck with acrylics a while longer and my aim will be to keep them as simple and lean as possible. Regards, Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Thank you Karen. The pointed-back foiled chatons are set in seats made with a setting burr, the same as in metal. The acrylic is very soft, so you have to be extra careful not to enlarge the hole. The glue used was Loctite Powerflex, applied very sparingly with the end of a saw blade.
    Any surplus exuding can smudge the surface and be difficult to clean up.
    The foil prevents the glue from showing. Dennis.
    Thank you for sharing, Dennis. You must have very steady hands, not only for making the holes and getting them just right but also for getting the glue in on the end of a saw blade and applying it accurately, I can imagine me making a right old mess trying that! Karen