Thread: Tubing for riveting

Default Tubing for riveting

I have a couple of lengths of silver tubing from cookson for riveting. Is the best thing to anneal the whole length before cutting it up?

No Sheena. Keeping it hard protects it against bending when handled. Just anneal the pieces you need.
    You can also weaken the ends of a tube rivet, by inserting a round burr to remove a little metal, and make them easier to spread. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    No Sheena. Keeping it hard protects it against bending when handled. Just anneal the pieces you need.
    You can also weaken the ends of a tube rivet, by inserting a round burr to remove a little metal, and make them easier to spread. Dennis.
    I'm not keen on pickling so was hoping to avoid regularly pickling little bits, but I will follow the experts advice I do love riveting things and am having fun with beach found pottery and glass.

Pickling small parts can be a pain. What you can do is get a plastic tea strainer, you should be able to warm the handle up with a heat gun and bend it so that it can fit over the edge of a crock pot. Place your small items in that. Much easier than fiddling with tweezers.

I definitly need to do that. It would help me get over my dislike of pickling.

I bought a pkt of plastic tea strainers from amazon but haven’t pickled any small parts yet. They sit in the bottom and I have a pr of tongs to yank them out

In a workshop with multiple users, I struggle to find a nylon sieve that isn't full of holes. The uninitiated put in hot metal pieces, which drop straight though.
    If you are at all absent minded, buy a bunch. Dennis.