Thread: Home-made steel tools

Red face Home-made steel tools

Hello forum, just wondered, for chasing and repousse I want to file some straight line making tools and slightly curved... I think I can buy steel rods and then file the end that I want. Any ideas? Is that the best way? I have been taught that way and also I think I can just buy the pieces of steel from cooksons, at least I think its steel I need... Is it steel? Thanks in advance...

You need a carbon steel, or silver steel, this will allow you to harden the end and make it last longer.
    such as here https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/mate...r-steel/160205, (I don't know any thing about this company Just an example)

I made most of my chasing and line tools using silver steel and sometimes old broken files. The last silver steel rods I bought from here; https://www.ekpsupplies.com/silversteel.html ,I cut each length of rod into three punch lengths then I shape the ends before hardening and tempering the shaped tools.

James

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    (I don't know any thing about this company Just an example)
    They're one I use extensively (although usually for bigger things than jewellery).

James, Just wondered how you harden and temper them afterward, and can I use a regular file to shape the end of silver steel? Also if I cut it into three, do I do that with a regular jewellery saw?

Eva

Eva, First I cut the silver steel rods using a piercing saw, I use regular files to shape the ends of my tools, to harden and temper the punch I use my blowtorch to heat the working end to a red hot and then quench in water, then I use emery paper to clean off any fire scale from the tool's end, then I use a fine flame on my blowtorch and heat the tool just below the tip and then the steel starts to colour alongside where the flame is, when I see a light straw colour appear at the top of the tool I quench it again in water. The tool is now tempered.

This photo sheet is one I prepared showing how I harden and temper a scorper for use, this is the same method I used for hardening and tempering my chasing tools. If you can print it out it may be of use to you.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	132 Scorper prep photo sheet.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	12506

James